1911 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are several different schools of thought on it, so it's really just a personal preference.

Personally, I like to periodically strip it all the way down... everything but the grip bushings come out. Everything.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I reread the OP and if were my gun I'd clean it and properly lube it before shooting it the first time. It isn't a bad thing to shoot a minimum of 500 rounds through it without cleaning. Depending on the 1911 and how it was built it may need a break in period. My friend who builds custom 1911s usually asks his customers who are bringing in a new pistol to shoot 500 rounds minimum through it before he begins to do any work on it.

A custom shouldn't need broke in! :)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A custom shouldn't need broke in! :)

I read the article that you wrote about your trip to Wilson Combat. It sounds like the test firing they do with each gun is a break in period. If they find something isn't doing what its supposed to do they fix it. So, when you receive the gun from WC it should be ready to go and feed multiple types of ammo. If you build a 1911, especially one built to say withing +/- .002" there is going to be a break in period. The surfaces that contact each other will wear against each other and this wear may or may not be even. Its really not any different then a newly assembled car engine the parts need time to seat in.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just messin with you man. :)

And what I meant is that a custom gun that you buy shouldn't need broken in anymore than it was before it left the shop... of course if you build your own, then you would be doing the break in.

I read the article that you wrote about your trip to Wilson Combat. It sounds like the test firing they do with each gun is a break in period. If they find something isn't doing what its supposed to do they fix it. So, when you receive the gun from WC it should be ready to go and feed multiple types of ammo. If you build a 1911, especially one built to say withing +/- .002" there is going to be a break in period. The surfaces that contact each other will wear against each other and this wear may or may not be even. Its really not any different then a newly assembled car engine the parts need time to seat in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom