1st Amendment protects military funeral protesters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate speech? Guys on here using the term "hate speech?" You can't have it both ways. When some jackass draws a racist caricature of Obama at a Tea Party rally, many of you would say "that's not hate speech." You want hate speech brought under control, then it ALL needs to be brought under control, not just the speech you dislike.

And as is usual here on OSA, most of you seem to forget what is good for the goose, is good for the gander. Double standard = hypocrisy.

Defamation was my point. I do believe they are violating hate speech laws whether you agree with those laws or not (and I don't) and could be procecuted for those as well.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes, it's the same way on liberal forums too I am sure

Actually I am kinda inclined to believe that it is that way whenever you get two people with opposing views in the same room ...

There there is that small segment of the population who just talks out their ass just to keep the pot stirred ... They are my personal favorites! ;)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I believe in the WBC and everyone's right to free speech. I just believe that their specific targeting and calling out of individuals, calling them names, defaming them in public, using legally defined "hate speech" (whether you agree with that principle or not) against them and inciting violence is not free speech. It's very clear from case law and statute that defamation is NOT free speech and THAT is what I believe WBC engages is.

Perhaps within the context of this particular lawsuit, the SCOTUS did get it right, however I think that if the lawsuit was based on defamation rather than WBC's "right to protest", we'd be looking at different decisions from the courts.

First, I don't see where Snyder was targeted individually.

Targeting a general group, I can see, but there are three defenses that come to mind on that: opinion, comments on a matter of public issue, and no actual injury.

Furthermore, this lawsuit wasn't based on WBC's right to protest when it got to the SCOTUS, it was based on whether or not their choice of protesting at a military funeral injured those at the funeral (specifically Snyder).

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, I don't see where Snyder was targeted individually.

Targeting a general group, I can see, but there are three defenses that come to mind on that: opinion, comments on a matter of public issue, and no actual injury.

Furthermore, this lawsuit wasn't based on WBC's right to protest when it got to the SCOTUS, it was based on whether or not their choice of protesting at a military funeral injured those at the funeral (specifically Snyder).

When their website comes back up, I'll try to find something but I know I heard Shirley Phelps Roper on TV describe Snyder and his wife as bad parents and failing in raising their now deceased son properly, etc...

Perhaps the actual physical protest didn't harm them, but I believe that WBC's published literature on the internet and spoken rants on national TV and talk shows which specifically name Snyder and defame him deserve a legal remedy.

That is my point. I'm looking for a solution to put these bozos in their place using the same legal system that they are manipulating.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When their website comes back up, I'll try to find something but I know I heard Shirley Phelps Roper on TV describe Snyder and his wife as bad parents and failing in raising their now deceased son properly, etc...

I think maybe "if" would be a more accurate term ... seems Shirley really stepped off in it when she goaded ANON the other day ...

I must say ... I am quite amused by this little turn of events ... smug b**** ... :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom