20 years for a warning shot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't move to Florida. This is probably the most backwards state in the union. They have stand your ground laws that protect a guy like Zimmerman, who may or may not have been justified in shooting the Martin kid, but when a woman fires a warning shot into a wall after the abusive husband tells her "If I can't have you, no one will" as she is trying to escape, she gets 20 years! She made the decision NOT to kill him, but used the gun as a tool to escape from bodily harm and possible death (he had tried to kill her several times before). She turned down a 3-year plea bargain and got saddled with 20 years because the jury was a bunch of idiots. She got 20 because Florida carries mandatory sentencing.This is ridiculous. The husband had just been choking her a few minutes earlier when she was able to get free, then was trying to get her keys to leave when he attacked again. Obviously she was scared to death. She shot the gun into the wall or ceiling as a warning shot. The problem is that there were two kids at home. No one was hurt. She should have just shot the SOB in the head. Dead men tell no tales. It seems as if you can get into more trouble with warning shots than you do actually shooting some one.

http://news.yahoo.com/stand-ground-defense-fails-florida-shooting-case-030038820.html

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've probably attended well over 100 firearms training classes over the last 20 yrs... civilian classes, classes for armed Security / Private Investigator and LEO related annual training classes.. and every single one tell you to NEVER fire a warning shot. If the situation warrants pulling the trigger.. then shoot the SOB.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using a firearm is an act of deadly force. Doing so when it is not justified is a crime. A warning shot an overt act proving that you did not think deadly force was necessary or justified. The "warning" should be drawing a bead on the upper center chest.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If what I've read on this case is true I have to think this woman is the victim of an incredible injustice. She should have been charged with negligent discharge of a firearm, if anything at all. Mandatory sentencing is wrong, we don't live under a Napoleonic code. Is Governor of Florida should still be able to grant a pardon even if the law doesn't allow parole?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an old thread link but I will post my opinion again.

Allowing warning shots or shots with no intended target is a scary precedent to stand behind. Shoot to kill or dont shoot at all. It would be irresponsible of the courts to not condemn this behavior and it is irresponsible of this woman to do what she did. Her sentence is absolutely obsessive however.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with negligent discharge. The fact of the matter is that prison time in this case is ridiculous. She is being punished for not killing him. She didn't want to kill him but he obviously didn't think she would pull the trigger, so she did, at the wall. he stopped. I honestly believe that warning shot saved that man's life, not that he deserved it. At the same time, it condemed her. Bull crap.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like he should also be sentenced to 20 years for this then, as their would not have been a warning shot in the first place if not for his actions against his wife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom