2023 waterfowl.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most remember that because of the pond being really low I didn't get to duck hunt at all last season (2022) but my hunting buddy sent me some pics that he took yesterday of where we hunt and it looks like that we'll get to hunt this year.......the pond is pretty big but not all that deep but at least there are no cattle on it so all we've got to worry about is July and Aug. evaporation

I'm not very good at judging acres but here it is.

dp1.jpg

dp2.jpg

dp3.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless there a lot more water to the left in the first pic, prob around 5a. You can get on Google earth and map a line around it and it will give you the area. We finally have some water in ponds now, hopefully it will last. Just need 0⁰ weather up north now lol.
Hopefully our pond that has been about to go dry has filled with the recent rains, but one plus while low this spring is that the previous bare banks have grown up in weeds and grass this spring that should help attract the ducks? Haven't done a lot of duck hunting in the past as everyone was into upland hunting, but those are getting far and few to be found these last few years.
Ducks are looking more appealing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully our pond that has been about to go dry has filled with the recent rains, but one plus while low this spring is that the previous bare banks have grown up in weeds and grass this spring that should help attract the ducks? Haven't done a lot of duck hunting in the past as everyone was into upland hunting, but those are getting far and few to be found these last few years.
Ducks are looking more appealing.
Just depends, for feeding on not really, the vegetation they like to pick grows underwater. Sometimes mallards like to cruise around in flooded edges like that thought. Bobcats really like to hunt them like that too lol.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ODWC keeps sending me emails encouraging me to renew my licenses now, but there’s a lot of thing that could happen between now and hunting season. :blush:
I have a lifetime so my only cost is a federal stamp. Crane and HIP permits are also free so I have no risk.

But I am also hunting no matter what, unless I am in ICU. My hunting partner broke his foot one year and I dragged him around in a soft cast. He would do the same for me if needed.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ODWC keeps sending me emails encouraging me to renew my licenses now, but there’s a lot of thing that could happen between now and hunting season. :blush:

You oughta renew those licenses for nothing other than the 7-10 days a year when every pond in the county (and the lake) is frozen over. As long as the water is moving even a little bit, Hunting that river during a hard freeze almost isn’t fair. If you’ve got a dozen decoys and a pair of waders, you’re going home with a limit of ducks. Maybe a limit of geese and a stray crane too. Atleast on the east side of the lake anyway.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You oughta renew those licenses for nothing other than the 7-10 days a year when every pond in the county (and the lake) is frozen over. As long as the water is moving even a little bit, Hunting that river during a hard freeze almost isn’t fair. If you’ve got a dozen decoys and a pair of waders, you’re going home with a limit of ducks. Maybe a limit of geese and a stray crane too. Atleast on the east side of the lake anyway.
Usually a different story above the lake, not near the water and not near the bird numbers if any sometime. They spend 24/7 living on the two feed lots lol.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually a different story above the lake, not near the water and not near the bird numbers if any sometime. They spend 24/7 living on the two feed lots lol.

Well that stinks, haha. Makes sense if there’s no water though. And while I haven’t recently done near the waterfowl hunting that I’ve done in the past, bird numbers have seemed to be a lot lower the last 3-5 years. That might have something to do with the lack of water though. It Used to be a waterfowler’s paradise…

Latest posts

Top Bottom