22lr to 223 Rem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's doing it the cheap way... I've looked at ordering a set of dies from a guy over at castboolits and he hasn't responded to my email yet, probably because he's either not making them, busy, or dead... I have a hard time justifying the tooling cost and the amount of work that goes into making the jackets (annealing each of those little buggers seems like a real pia, even for a cheap ass like me).

I am intrigued by the swaging of pistol bullets from brass though, not that there's even a real need for me to do that, but some of the stuff they've come up with is pretty cool.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched the video in the link and that is a totally different system than I use with the Corbin die set. My bullets are more accurate than the 55gr fmj bullets that I had been buying. Plus I can taylor the bullet weight to exactly what I want. It takes a lot more labor to do bullets the corbin way, but they are supremely accurate. Blitzfike

J

Jckellison

I had no idea shooters were doing this. I never had the slightest fathom to recycle spent 22's in such a fashion.

Guess I'll look online for some blueprint pdf's on machining dies. I've been looking for something to do with these lead bricks I've got. I've been making fishing weights/jigs for my pops, and revolver projectiles, but this seems a new fun project.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want quality bullets, check out the die sets from corbin. I use a core mold that is adjustable for weight, then a die to size the core and make it an exact weight by bleeding off the excess lead, A die to remove the rim from the 22 rimfire case, a die to seat the core in the formed jacket, and another dir to point the bullet. I machined the die to swage the cores to a given weight, but the others I bought from Corbin. They all fit into a standard 7/8X14 tpi loading press. A Rock Chucker or a Lee Classic Cast will give you enough leverage to do the swaging, stay away from lighter presses as they won't be adequate for the job. I am currently building a hydraulic press to take over the swaging duties. Here is a link to Corbin's website.. Good luck.. Blitzfike

http://www.bulletswage.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom