Mystery Mauser and 6mm Rem continued…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Little background… some of you have seen it in the classifieds. But along with the firearms I bought the other day I got 2 factory boxes of Federal 6mm Remington and a range box with what looked to be 6mm Remington reloads; about 60 of them and some spent cases in the box. I thought this makes sense since there’s a nice Remington 700 in that caliber in the collection of guns I bought. With my experimenting trying to figure out the chambering of the Mystery Mauser I got a wild hair and decided to take a spent case from that ammo box and chamber it in the Remington 700 I have that’s chambered in 6mm Remington. To my surprise It would not chamber.. at all. I thought that was extremely weird.

So I took a factory 6mm Rem round… and it chambered as it should

Then I took one of those 6mm Rem reloads and it WOULD NOT chamber in the Remington. I thought what the hell… got my calipers and my reloading manual out. Looks like 6mm Rem is allowed a COL of 2.825. These reloads are 2.935. I’m somewhat familiar with chasing the lands because for my .308win RPR I load the COL a little longer than manual states but this seems outrageously long though.

From what I can tell the chamber must be pretty ‘loose’ in the Mauser for the brass to expand that much too.

(I may be wrong on the above statement and the following statement I am about to say too.)

The diameter of the factory loaded brass is .462 the diameter of the spent casing is .468. Obviously there should be some size difference since the spent brass isn’t sized but anyways I’ll continue… I’m still a newbie to this sort of stuff.

I’ve already took the 6mm Rem spent cases and they chamber in the Mystery Mauser fine. The factory ammo I have chambers fine and I took the reloaded round to the Mystery Mauser and it chambers fine. This chambering must be pretty open for a round with a COL of 2.935” to chamber easily.

I’m in the 90-100% certain range that this Mauser is chambered in 6mm Rem. It appears the reloads are not for the Remington 700 though which really surprises me.

This is my assumption without casting the chamber. Thoughts?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Improved version or wildcat are good possibilities. It also could be that it has a very long throat for a specific bullet. Have you tried running those long reloads through the magazine, not just chambering them? Pics might certainly be helpful. Reloads alongside some factory ammo.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Improved version or wildcat are good possibilities. It also could be that it has a very long throat for a specific bullet. Have you tried running those long reloads through the magazine, not just chambering them? Pics might certainly be helpful. Reloads alongside some factory ammo.

The reload (left) next to the factory round (right). Ran the long reloads through the Mauser magazine and they ran very very smooth.

77CFB14B-EDB7-45B0-BF10-57D657F481E9.jpeg

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, will the fired brass (non-reloaded) fit in the Remington chamber?

Second - on the reloaded cartridge. Has the neck been turned on that piece ? It sure looks like it could have been.
Also, look at the neck/shoulder junction. Much sharper on the reloaded round than the factory. It even looks like the shoulder has been bumped back on the reloaded round.

What does that mean? I don't know.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
First, will the fired brass (non-reloaded) fit in the Remington chamber?

Second - on the reloaded cartridge. Has the neck been turned on that piece ? It sure looks like it could have been.
Also, look at the neck/shoulder junction. Much sharper on the reloaded round than the factory. It even looks like the shoulder has been bumped back on the reloaded round.

What does that mean? I don't know.

1. No it will not. The only thing I can think is that the fired brass is formed to the mausers chamber and that’s why it doesn’t want to chamber in the Remington.

2. It does appear that way. Maybe just the photo?

I’ll do some more digging…

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know nothing about 6mms, but could it be 243 win? Maybe they were forming the brass from the 6mm Remg though that does seem odd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom