.243 87 gr. V-Max penetration test impressive and 165 GK HPBT!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used an 87 grain Hornady Interlock on a deer a couple of years ago. Broadside, behind the shoulder shot, maybe 30 yards. Didn't even get a blood trail, bullet didn't exit. I found the deer, but I prefer them bleeding out of both sides. What was left of the bullet under the skin on the far side was mostly jacket, there was very little lead core remaining. Let's just say I wasn't impressed with the bullet performance.

I know several folks that use varmint style and target bullets on deer out of .270's. They've never lost a deer, so I reckon the best thing is just shoot what you're confident with. Placement is key.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.orchardphoto.com_j19ud_216.jpg

This isn't a deer but maybe it will help. The exit wound from an 87 grain V-Max out of my 243 Winchester on a coyote from a few days ago. The range was a little shy of 250 yards.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes i have tried it on paper ..some loads my buddy shoots at 1000 yards.
Shot terrible in my gun..But those were built for his savage not my savage.
The 178 a max i used on deer a couple times..devastating, i like it.

But the 178 shot tiny ragged holes at 100 to only open up to unacceptable groups at 200 and further.
So i now sit on 3 boxes of those...

ASP785 do you shoot the 155 AMax??

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot deer with the 155 A max. The round you are not supposed to use on deer. My results were devastating as well. My main problem with it is that I cannot get anything under about 1.5 inches in my 308 AR. It seems like the bullet itself may be inconsistent. I need to try the 178s and see if they perform better.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found that some bullets group large, like your 1.5" at 100 yards and tighten up further out.
Then i have had that flip flop on me. so testing at 200 is what i like to do now

The 178 has a long bearing surface those seem to stabilize earlier than my short surface bullets.
Some boat tail bullets i tried started grouping best when i was at or near max load. sometimes just over max and they came in really well.

The 2156 sierra palma 155 in my 30-06 tightened up really nice with speeds of 3,176 FPS from my 22" barrel
I did push them .5grain faster but groups did not improve..that .5gr more of H4350 was not cronied.

Same deal with the .308 and that palma bullet, it liked speed...But tiny hole in and tiny hole out in deer and hogs.. so gave up on that round

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a Hornady 87 grain bullet in my 6mm for deer hunting for a long time. I don't think my box had a V-Max designation or anything else for that matter. The box is probably at least 30 years old - I will try to check it out.

Anyway- it does great on deer for me.

Cedar Creek

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've killed several deer with the 87vmax out of a 6mm rat with velocities around 3050fps. Ranges from 50yards to 450 yards with nothing running farther than 20 yards. Of course all were broad side and hit exactly where intended.

At these velocities I can't imagine an issue unless trying to shoot through a shoulder.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had some problems with target HP bullets in 243 not expanding at all, small hole all the way through unless you hit a bone. I think I'll try Swampratt's recipe for the 243 on my next use of it for deer. Good info. Thanks

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An update ..
I had the opportunity this evening to put down a cow and butcher her..
87 V-max to the skull right through the brain and exploded all the internals below the skull.
I cut the tongue out to look up at the damage as there was no exit,
There was a fist sized hole, lot's of shrapneled skull and spine parts..
So much shock when it hit it busted a 4" triangle piece piece of the top of her skull out.

Instant death...Success with that little experiment..
Range was 1.5 feet

Latest posts

Top Bottom