243 load questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just a hunting rifle with factory everything on it. The only upgrades are a tuned trigger to about 2 lbs of pull and then hand loaded ammo. At this point, I have tested about 20 different powder/bullet combinations out of it and have achieved 1.25" group thus far with 2 of the loads. I know I can get better than this and would like to see at least .625" at 100 yards. I am capable of it as a shooter and have achieved it with other "stock" guns that I own.

I have used the method quoted above to work up loads. I load up 3-5 rounds per powder measurement with .5 grain increments and all have COL that is consistent with all rounds. Now I am at a point that I think I can take one of the loads that got me a smaller group and start to tune it up.

I trim my brass after every shot in an effort to keep everything consistent.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fishfurlife, what bullet weight are you wanting to shoot? If your buddy does much barrel work have him look for a BR shooter that has a 6PPC that is worn out for them. You may be able to pick up a good cutom barrel really worth the money. A barrel that is worn out for a BR shooter wont shoot in the .2's any more, but will make a 1/2 inch gun with plenty of barrel life in it for most shooters. The PPC chamber will clean up when you put a 243 reamer in it. Bad side of that is most are going to be slow twist rates, 1-12ish for light bullets. Big green's barrels have not been that great for the last few years. I know some good shooter's having lots of issues with Remingtons barrels not shooting worth a flip.
As far as seating your bullets out, just work the loads up. The biggest issue is sticking a bullet in the lands and trying to unload the gun. The bullet may stick in the barrel and you have an action full of powder, a pain in the behind. I usually let the magazine set my COL, because I want it to feed through the mag.
Have you bedded the action? Floated the barrel? Do you know your optics are holding up? Just some more variables in the mix.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually had the option of several custom barrels that had been replaced because of the exact reason that you stated. I would have had to do a lot of work on the stock or purchase a new stock to fit the barrels because they were all big bull barrels. The barrel I ended up with was actually a little heavier than the barrel we took off, so we ended up floating the barrel as well just to make sure all was well. Action bedding is the next step if needed. Optics are fine, I have a new Cabelas Alaskan Guide scope on the gun. As for bullet size, I am wanting to shoot an 80-90 grain bullet.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always have a heavy barrel turned down so you don't have to do a lot of stock work. Have you shot the new scope on another rifle that you know and have tested with another scope? Just because it is new doesn't mean you don't have a scope problem. I always check a rifle I am having problems with with a known scope before making big changes to the rifle. Just in case. Had an issue like that several years ago, and the scope got a trip back to the factory after testing with another scope. A 12 twist should shoot 80-90 grainers. I primarily shoot 85's in my 243's. One shoots 85gr Seirra BTHP really well, the other is doing good with 85gr partitions. You could have issues shooting a 85gr Barnes X because they are long for weight through a 12 twist. What powder are you using?

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a load that uses a 85 grain hornady bullet and IMR4350, great accuracy on a plain jain Remington ADL.
i4.photobucket.com_albums_y144_JCW355_87GRAINVMAX_1.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of my loads for my Ar start about .010 away from the lands. I lose a couple of thousandths every 100 rounds or so. For accuracy some guys cram the bullet into the lands. These loads probably won't be published and you would have to work up to them. I think alot of people shooting lead bullets in old military rifles do this alot.

Long range bench rest shooters engage the lands on purpose. They also assure concintricity of the bullet in the case before each shot.

The majority of us that hunt, and shoot speed matches don't always use this method, as multiple rounds in a short period of time does not do well engaging the rifling.

I do have one rifle that I only use for one place I hunt. Minimum distance is 400 yds. All loads in the 06 contact the lands. One shot is all that is required.

I know the op was asking about .243, but all rounds follow most of the same rules about this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom