26 Nosler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 28 Nosler and find ammo has been hard since the pandemic started. I’ve had great luck with the Hornady ELD-X being very accurate, but have not harvested any game with it yet.

Sorry I can’t help you with specific loads for the 26.
I've tried dozens of lead core bullets in my 26 but ALL have failed so I'm looking for some solid copper types, that can survive the speed and twist (1 in 7") that this cartridge produces. So far I've found Lehigh, Barnes, Hammer and Balands Precision make some interesting expanding bullets. Hornady has come out with their CX bullet but it has a plastic tip and I'm not too keen on these anymore.
Anyway, thanks for your response and good luck with your 28.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've tried dozens of lead core bullets in my 26 but ALL have failed so I'm looking for some solid copper types, that can survive the speed and twist (1 in 7") that this cartridge produces. So far I've found Lehigh, Barnes, Hammer and Balands Precision make some interesting expanding bullets. Hornady has come out with their CX bullet but it has a plastic tip and I'm not too keen on these anymore.
Have you looked at the Cutting Edge Ballistics Raptor yet?

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious what the other bullets failed at!!!!!

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Good luck with your 26 development. The bullets I looked into for mine were the Hornady ELD-X and Nosler Accubond Long Range which were developed for long range, high velocity calibers.

Also, the ELD bullets have a specially designed tip to not deform from aerodynamic heating. They used Doppler radar to see the deformation of the standard polymer tips on long range to see why their bullets were not acting as suspected during testing.

I’ve only shot it too 300 yards so far, but have not had any bullet failures. Like others have mentioned I would be curious what failures you are seeing.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Good luck with your 26 development. The bullets I looked into for mine were the Hornady ELD-X and Nosler Accubond Long Range which were developed for long range, high velocity calibers.

Also, the ELD bullets have a specially designed tip to not deform from aerodynamic heating. They used Doppler radar to see the deformation of the standard polymer tips on long range to see why their bullets were not acting as suspected during testing.

I’ve only shot it too 300 yards so far, but have not had any bullet failures. Like others have mentioned I would be curious what failures you are seeing.
I recently saw pictures of a Hornady ELD-X that failed, used on a Wildebeest at 168 yds IIRC out of a 300 PRC. Classic core separation. Obviously couldn’t handle that velocity at that range. That being said, a wildebeest isn’t a deer

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My gun is a custom-built model 70 Winchester with 30" Pacnor 1-7" twist barrel and I wanted to be able to shoot Sierra's 150g Match King bullets in it but they all blow up about 10-15 yards in front of the gun, only 2 ever made it to a 100 yard target and those were just pieces, there was a "buckshot" pattern of about 7-8 little holes around where I was aiming. I emailed Sierra about this and never got a response back from them but I think they must have designed this bullet for a max velocity of about 2900 fps with a 1 in 7&1/2"or faster twist. I experimented with some reduced loads and finally got 5 into a group with a m-v of 2870fps but the group was about 2" and extreme spread @ 88 fps, not good, I can get that out of my 6.5/300 WSM. I tried a couple in my 6.5/270 Winchester, and they wouldn't stabilize in the 1 in 8" twist barrel. I bought a box of 500 of these when I started this project but now they are pretty useless in any of my 6.5 cal guns unless I re-barrel something. I'll keep trying a few more experiments, maybe get lucky and find the "perfect" combination.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently saw pictures of a Hornady ELD-X that failed, used on a Wildebeest at 168 yds IIRC out of a 300 PRC. Classic core separation. Obviously couldn’t handle that velocity at that range. That being said, a wildebeest isn’t a deer

Where did you see that? I would be interested to read about the failure and see the pics.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I emailed Sierra about this and never got a response back from them but I think they must have designed this bullet for a max velocity of about 2900 fps with a 1 in 7&1/2"or faster twist.
Do you mean 1 in 7.5" or slower? While i haven't had experience in your setup, your results would make me think something is wrong. Maybe im wrong. What velocity are you shooting the Sierra 150 Matchkings at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom