3 Gun vs SASS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdhaley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to get into some competition shooting. I know neither would be easy on the wallet, but I would like some experienced opinions on this. I'm from the Shawnee area. So I guess OKC Gun club would be the closest place I would compete.
Any help is appreciated.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is real simple;

Do you like roy rogers and tonto,
or do you like Rambo, Jason Bourne, James Bond, chicks with big boobs, and America??

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot the sport that centers around the guns you like. Both will be initially expensive.

You can also try USPSA or IDPA. The handgun only games are a bit cheaper to start in.

This is spot on ... And if you are not already, get into reloading now. You will thank me later because sport shooting is EXTREMELY addictive ...

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The extra expence for SASS is the costume that is required. But that isn't a big expense since it's a long sleeve shirt and jeans. I would suggest going and watch a shoot of both and see if either interest you more. I know most SASS people might even let you try a stage if you let them know you are new. I don't know about 3 gun, but if they are like any other shooting group they might be just as friendly.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The expense for the costuming in SASS can be an expensive or as nominal as you want. My first sass outfit was a white collarless shirt and a pair of wranglers. I built from there. We are doing a shoot tomorrow. I can tell you that if you show up and express interest, you will end up shooting a stage because thats what we do. You will have plenty of folks offering you the use of all the firearms you need and we will even supply ammo to get started.

the costuming is secondary. Seriously. We are more concerned with getting folks shooting.

There are a number of folks that shoot SASS with me and IDPA, USPSA or modern 3 gun as well. The consensus is that SASS is the friendliest group because most of the folks are there to have fun, be safe and enjoy each other's company. Sure there's competition and scoring and lots of awards and etc...etc..etc... there are a number of categories, there are long distance side matches and fastest draw etc...etc..etc..

We even have a offshoot called Wild Bunch that shoots 1911's instead of Single Action pistols. Lots of movement, lots of reloads.

I have a lot of money in SASS guns now and it's a lot of fun. What appealed to me was the comradery and family orientation of the group. My wife and daughter also shoot SASS. I can tell you that these folks are so good at making sure everyone has fun and stays safe that I trust my kid with them. That should tell you something.

The alias, the costuming - there is nothing like it out there and it's incredible. I would encourage you to come out, see what it's about and shoot a stage or two! There lots of folks (me included) than can answer any questions you have and we always have plenty of ammo!

The folks are why I decided to get into SASS. I was ignored at two three-gun competitions I attended, even after trying to ask questions. USPSA and IDPA are just pistols, and I wanted more. I've done trap shooting and it's fun but I couldn't keep up with the cost of the guns.

There are a number of SASS members on okshooters. If you have questions, ask away! or PM me and I will answer whatever I can.

The OKCGC SASS group is here: http://www.okcgunclub.org/cowboy/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot USPSA matches at the OKC gun club monthly. We used to share the SASS facility's, and I've seen them at their matches. Very cool. Its, no different than having shooting jersey's, etc, other than the SASS group's clothes might get a little more expensive.

I like seeing the period clothes, guns and outfits. :D

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats your alias?

The expense for the costuming in SASS can be an expensive or as nominal as you want. My first sass outfit was a white collarless shirt and a pair of wranglers. I built from there. We are doing a shoot tomorrow. I can tell you that if you show up and express interest, you will end up shooting a stage because thats what we do. You will have plenty of folks offering you the use of all the firearms you need and we will even supply ammo to get started.

the costuming is secondary. Seriously. We are more concerned with getting folks shooting.

There are a number of folks that shoot SASS with me and IDPA, USPSA or modern 3 gun as well. The consensus is that SASS is the friendliest group because most of the folks are there to have fun, be safe and enjoy each other's company. Sure there's competition and scoring and lots of awards and etc...etc..etc... there are a number of categories, there are long distance side matches and fastest draw etc...etc..etc..

We even have a offshoot called Wild Bunch that shoots 1911's instead of Single Action pistols. Lots of movement, lots of reloads.

I have a lot of money in SASS guns now and it's a lot of fun. What appealed to me was the comradery and family orientation of the group. My wife and daughter also shoot SASS. I can tell you that these folks are so good at making sure everyone has fun and stays safe that I trust my kid with them. That should tell you something.

The alias, the costuming - there is nothing like it out there and it's incredible. I would encourage you to come out, see what it's about and shoot a stage or two! There lots of folks (me included) than can answer any questions you have and we always have plenty of ammo!

The folks are why I decided to get into SASS. I was ignored at two three-gun competitions I attended, even after trying to ask questions. USPSA and IDPA are just pistols, and I wanted more. I've done trap shooting and it's fun but I couldn't keep up with the cost of the guns.

There are a number of SASS members on okshooters. If you have questions, ask away! or PM me and I will answer whatever I can.

The OKCGC SASS group is here: http://www.okcgunclub.org/cowboy/

Latest posts

Top Bottom