30-06 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got some 30-06 ammo a few years ago. I got 2 bandoliers and a total of 11 loaded M1 Garand clips. The ammo is marked with L C 6 7 on the back. Om guessing that is Lake City 1967? Just want to make sure its not corrosive. It also has red lacquer around the primer. Im thinking of shooting up this ammo at the rifle match this weekend. Is that a good idea or would it be more wise to keep it?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your right about Lake City 79 and no it is not corrosive, The US stopped loading corrosive in the late 30's.

The primer pocket is crimped so the primer won't back out and cause the gun to lock up the red ring is a lacquer seal
to keep out water.

Shoot it, it's not collectable but the brass is reloadable.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your right about Lake City 79 and no it is not corrosive, The US stopped loading corrosive in the late 30's.

Not quite - the U.S. was still loading corrosive 30-06 until the early 1950s, depending on the manufacturer. Anything after that would be non-corrosive. LC 67 isn't particularly valuable, but it's not match ammo either :)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably shoot gun/ammo combo that is cheaper and easier to replace. HXP from the CMP is going to run you about 55 cents per round.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd probably shoot gun/ammo combo that is cheaper and easier to replace. HXP from the CMP is going to run you about 55 cents per round.

that is what i was thinking as well. I usually run my AK at these matches....BUT iv always thought it would be kinda fun to bring the M1. It would make things a bit more challenging.

Latest posts

Top Bottom