30-06 rims breaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had several Winchester Ballistic Silvertips that the rim is breaking when they are ejected. This has happened more than once which causes the shell to be stuck in the gun. The gun is a Remington 742 which is a semi-auto 30-06 with a detachable mag for those of you that don't know. I know the problem is not the gun I have had it for several years with no problems and have always fired these shells in it the only thing I can figure these are out of a new box. will try to post a picture just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Thanks for any information that might help

i1286.photobucket.com_albums_a608_dan1colleges_photo_zps2a9fc668.jpg

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had several Winchester Ballistic Silvertips that the rim is breaking when they are ejected. This has happened more than once which causes the shell to be stuck in the gun. The gun is a Remington 742 which is a semi-auto 30-06 with a detachable mag for those of you that don't know. I know the problem is not the gun I have had it for several years with no problems and have always fired these shells in it the only thing I can figure these are out of a new box. will try to post a picture just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Thanks for any information that might help

i1286.photobucket.com_albums_a608_dan1colleges_photo_zps2a9fc668.jpg

Does other brands of brass do the same thing?

Try taking another brand and stagger them in the magazine with the Winchester ST shoot them and see what happens. Maybe that batch of WIN brass is soft.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked Daniel about this yesterday, and he said he'd post it on here for me and see what could be happening. I have been shooting Win Ballistic Silvertips for a few years now, and just bought a new box the other day. I shot 6 rounds, checking my scope, and 2 failed to eject, 3 of the rims were bent, and 1 was completely broken. I have never had this happen before, so I didn't know if Winchester had switched to lower quality brass to save money.

I'll try to run a brush through the gun this evening, but I clean my gun thoroughly every year at the end of the season, but not between shooting events, such as sighting in and during the season.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just noticed tonight that the fired rounds are swelling in the chamber. They are swelling just before the ejector rim.

Fired round, showing swelling:
i65.photobucket.com_albums_h221_okherp_839874E4_A114_459A_B9353d8a9a50dfe5407806e7ddba98abd67c.jpg

Unfired round for comparison:
i65.photobucket.com_albums_h221_okherp_71FC51B3_62C4_4437_ADA59dae259916e9cedb6399a98fad2a9a06.jpg

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Missed that it was a 742, headspacing is likely near max (looser chamber) for that semi-auto as compared to a bolt gun. Might account for the bulged cases. I have read about extractor/ejector issues on 742s.

Try another brand and see if you get similar results. That would eliminate the firearm as the problem.

Please post the round data, ie grains, fps on the box (if listed). Any other signs of over pressure (flattened primers, burn through)?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the blurry pic, but the primers look flattened to me. Especially the one on the left. I'd hazard a guess that these rounds are at maximum OAL and are causing pressure issues.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever the problem is, I've seen it several times before. The last one I recall was with 180gr Sellier and Bellot 30-06 that some guys bought cheap on base. Their 742 was having the same issue you describe. After prying 3 casings out of their chamber I just told them to quit shooting that ammo. So to you I say the same thing, switch ammo. Go back to whats worked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom