30-06 rims breaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I've never had this problem before until this year. I have such great results with Winchester, I'd hate to switch. I had to switch bullet weights out of necessity (they were completely sold out of my usual 150-grain), but I don't think bullet weight from the same manufacturer and type of ammo would make the difference.

I've contacted Winchester Ammunition about it, but I got an auto-reply that they're closed until Jan 2. Maybe they'll give me some useful information, like a return a credit for another box of ammunition (150-grain) this time. If that doesn't work, I may have to switch ammo. If so, I'm thinking Hornady next.

Boy what I wouldn't give for a reloader!!

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have had 3 742's in the store in the last 2 or 3 years with the same problem, On one of them the shells were swelled like yours at the base and after examining the barrel I found that the breach of the barrel was bubble expanded. The only fix was to cut the barrel, rethread and recut the chamber. That fixed the problem but the cost was near the value of the gun. ($300)

A second one had a chipped extractor that would cut the brass with the sharp edge and not pull out the shell.

The last one was from years of use, the gun was just flat worn out, entire chamber was expanded from years of use and the barrel had to be replaced.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I try different ammo, and it does the same thing now, it's most likely the gun itself? That would not make me happy! :( It's my grandpa's old gun that I've been using for the past almost 20 years. I've put hundreds of rounds through it, between sighting in, deer and coyotes. I guess guns wear out just like everything else though. Given the choice, I would rather get this gun fixed than to buy a new one. I'm kind of a sentimental person like that.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Daniel looked at the shells today, and said that the primers are flattened, and some were even raised. I guess Winchester's QC is slacking a little and loading a little too hot!? I should hear something from Winchester after Jan 2, and we'll see what they decide to do, whether a refund, new box of ammo, or a credit for more ammo. Either way, I don't like the idea of shooting ammo that could cause me injury or screw up my gun!

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's time to roll your own for Grandpa's old 742. Factory 06 is loaded hotter than hell for new production bolt guns. No reason to subject the old woodsmaster to that type of pressure.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks to me like two issues.

First is the fact that you are trying to get a 742 to run well. Most just don't unless they are very regularly and perfectly cleaned. Remington bolt guns are so much more dependable.

If I'm looking at the fired cases correctly, I'm seeing overpressure signs on the primers. This appears to be "cratering", which is a sign of very soft primers or overpressure. Winchester factory primers are moderately hard, so soft primers are not likely the issue. Second I'm seeing excessive burnishing of the fired case in the area of the web. Could be a rough rifle chamber or could be high pressure.

Obvious thing to try is another brand of ammo. Thoroughly clean the rifle, including taking a brass brush to the chamber. Hopefully the rifle will run okay for your needs at that point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom