30-30 reload issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
73657B76-F758-4E13-98AC-9F268ADC477D.jpeg

Have an issue here with this brass ! Couple different head stamp brass had no issue. Is this something I am doing or have you guys seen this before?
73657B76-F758-4E13-98AC-9F268ADC477D.jpeg
C35DA3FD-1475-44BD-B519-2F2ED1910023.jpeg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had that happen once on another caliber and i found out i had the die screwed in to far and it was putting the crimp on the neck before the bullet seater had a chance to seat the bullet, I backed the die out and restarted the whole process of adjusting again. Dont know how it got out of adjustment cause i had loaded several rounds before just fine. but this time something went haywire.
This may not be your problem just what i found was mine.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you flaring the case mouth much? Some of you're brass may have a thicker wall therefore needing the case mouth flared a little more to accept a bullet. I seem to run into this issue with 357 nickel cases. They need a lil more flare or the bullet will crunch the case or the case mouth will shave part of the bullet plating off.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So it was a case of not chamfered enough inside the case mouth!! Have only loaded 30-06 before and did not have this issue.
Bullets are going right in these cases as well now. I need a puller lol I have 4 dummy rounds now !!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a shell holder for that case you can drill a hole into a piece of wood say a 2X4 about 8" long drill right into the top with a bit just a bit larger than the case body.
And 1.5 X as deep as the loaded round. That should do it.
Now place the case into the shell holder and place the round into the hole.

The case holder will rest above the hole.
Get a gloved hand and hold the 2x4 and wack it onto the ground/ solid surface like concrete so that the bullet can be dislodged
by inertia.

You need to secure the shell holder and case to keep it from coming out of the hole. tape it or get creative or hold a gloved finger over it.
Gloves because your hands will get sore from pounding.

This will allow you to recover the bullet and powder.
Just pour it out of the drilled hole into a cup..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom