Rookie Reloader Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just started reloading a few months ago and I'm wondering about sorting brass by head stamp. Is that something ya have to do? And if so why?
Yep. Brass thickness varies, case capacity varies. The farther down this rabbit hole you go, you'll find yourself sorting by other things as well.

Necks stretch, so you really want to sort by times fired.

If you loading for M1, M1A or Mini-14 you want to toss cases after 4 times loading.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just started reloading a few months ago and I'm wondering about sorting brass by head stamp. Is that something ya have to do? And if so why?
Brass is different thickness and changes case volume.
Pistole Brass for Cowboy Action, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Glock Matches no need to sort.
Bullseye they sort.
Most people sort rife brass

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I sort by headstamp for my .308, I also keep track of how many times it’s been fired.

I don’t sort by headstamp for any other caliber I load for yet since .308 is the only one I load for precision.

So if I got some range brass that I don't know how many times its been shot the only thing to do is make it isn't damaged?

I normally assume that range brass has been shot only once since it was left on the ground. Most reloaders pick up their brass. Clean it up and check for splits and cracks to make sure.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont sort any of my brass except for different calibers and dont keep track of the number of firings will shot and reload it til i find a crack neck and can usually find it when im processing it, but mine is just plinking ammo.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I got some range brass that I don't know how many times its been shot the only thing to do is make it isn't damaged?
Same as @PanhandleGlocker I assume range brass is mostly once fired, as a reloader would not just leave brass at the range unless there was an issue with it (which you will probably see inspecting it).

Are you talking about an outdoor range? Most indoor ranges don't allow you to collect brass that you did not bring in or buy.

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Same as @PanhandleGlocker I assume range brass is mostly once fired, as a reloader would not just leave brass at the range unless there was an issue with it (which you will probably see inspecting it).

Are you talking about an outdoor range? Most indoor ranges don't allow you to collect brass that you did not bring in or buy.
Yes outdoor range

Latest posts

Top Bottom