.300 AAC Blackout / .300 Whisperer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marine0331usmc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had the pleasure of firing a rifle chambered in either .300 AAC Blackout or .300 Whisperer cartridge? All the things I read online say it's fantastic and may be the next big thing in an AR rifle platform hunting cartridge. The Bullet itself is a 7.62X35 and is supposed to carry more energy than an AK47 Round.It had capabilities of shooting a 105 grain bullet supersonic all the way up to a 220 grain bullet subsonic and can be mated with a suppressor. The word is this rifle with a suppressor is ultra quiet. I am thinking on building an .300 Blackout Upper Receiver and since the folks on here are straight shooters I thought I'd ask and see if there was some feedback from the members.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seriously looking at building a suppressed SBR in .300 AAC Blackout. I've not shot one, but from what I've heard ballistics are basically the same 7.62 x 39. So no it's not going to reach out 800 yards and drop an elk, but it should make a great CQB round with the right load and bullet. I've read that with supersonic rounds it's a legitimate 400 meter round. Don't know if I believe that just yet, but using standard AR mags and getting that reliability with nothing but a barrel change is very intriguing.

marine0331usmc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking very heavily on it. I think it will work marvelously for a Hog Hunting round. I have a friend who is a class III dealer and built an upper and placed a suppressor and it was as quiet or quieter than an Suppressed MP5 H&K. I was amazed. That coupled with the fact that the round has been made commercial by tons of manufacturers makes it almost too good to be true.

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A friend of mine shoots a 300 Whisper with a suppressor and a night vision scope. The combo is devastating on coyotes. He can wipe out a whole pack. When one drops, the others just look at him and probably say, "Leroy, why are you laying down?" and don't run away. They never hear the shot.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine shoots a 300 Whisper with a suppressor and a night vision scope. The combo is devastating on coyotes. He can wipe out a whole pack. When one drops, the others just look at him and probably say, "Leroy, why are you laying down?" and don't run away. They never hear the shot.

:rubhands: That's freakin cool....

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rounds for this caliber are still on the $$ end for me. But, like you said, with more manufacturers making the round; the price will come down. Remington has promised some cheaper prices on the round.

I'm with shadowrider. An SBR would be the only way to go. I think that is where this caliber really shines. Having a subsonic option in an AR platform that actually cycles the rifle is awesome. Plus the extra energy down range. Of course, the subsonic rounds have a trajectory that looks like a rainbow. However, a 9" 300 Black out with my AAC suppressor on there, would make anyone show their "OH Face".

This setup is Hollywood quiet. Almost as quiet as an MP5-SD with twice the knockdown power. And in the 9" configuration, it's about the same size as the MP5. Damn it, I might as well start on the build...

Latest posts

Top Bottom