Ruger Mini 300 BO or 277 Wolverine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone fooled with one of the Mini 300 BO rifles yet? I traded for an old Mini 14 a few weeks back, and am really liking it so far...like it way better than the AR I used to own. Been getting the itch for a suppressor, and do not own anything to put one on at the moment; no AR's in several years now and only pencil barrel bolt guns. And while I'm here, has anyone seen one of the Mini 300's with a suppressor?...OR...

Does anyone have any experience, firsthand or otherwise, with the 277 Wolverine cartridge? Looks like most are on AR platforms, better velocity than the 300 BO (due mostly to smaller bullet weights I think?), and still able to make it subsonic. Looks like all it takes to change over from 223/5.56 is a barrel swap. TIA as always!

Singularis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it's an improvement over the Mini 30 in that the bore is actually the right size for the cartridge - the Mini 30s have a 7.62x39 chamber with a .308 bore. Of course it would be better yet if Ruger would just forge the Mini 30 barrels with a correct .311 bore. Until then, the .300 Blk. is your best bet if you are wanting to shoot light, slow .30 cals out of that platform.

The .277 Wolverine is neat in that it gives you 6.8 SPC performance while using a standard 5.56 bolt face - I actually wish it had caught on instead of 6.8. It is in quite a different category than .300 Blk. though. It is an option for a cartridge with a lot more reach than .300.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it's an improvement over the Mini 30 in that the bore is actually the right size for the cartridge - the Mini 30s have a 7.62x39 chamber with a .308 bore. Of course it would be better yet if Ruger would just forge the Mini 30 barrels with a correct .311 bore. Until then, the .300 Blk. is your best bet if you are wanting to shoot light, slow .30 cals out of that platform.
ruger has used .311 bores in mini 30's since 1992

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a stainless Mini 30. It was okay, I mean it never malfunctioned, but I like the old Mini 14 rear sight a lot more than that lame fold down rear sight my Mini 30 had.

Anyway, the more 300 blackouts there are the better! Only leads to more ammo!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a stainless Mini 30. It was okay, I mean it never malfunctioned, but I like the old Mini 14 rear sight a lot more than that lame fold down rear sight my Mini 30 had.

Anyway, the more 300 blackouts there are the better! Only leads to more ammo!

The new Mini-30's have better peep sights now, so no worry over that flip down. Accuracy is way, way better than the old ones, and in either the standard, or tactical model, its a hell of a good gun!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom