300 wby mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm in the right thread for this question. A little history first. I purchased what I was told was a Wby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag. When the rifle got here it is a 300 wby mag. Private purchase, can't return it. Now my question is what is the smallest grain bullet in 30 cal that I can safely shoot in this gun. I reload my own. I'm aware of how small 30 cal goes but which one can handle the velocity of this mag load.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a bullet lighter that what weatherby factory loads for thier rifles. Its none of my business, but why would you want a .30 caliber magnum if you're gonna use 100 grain bullets?

I've got a friend that handloads the .300 Weatherby and has done so for years. I'll get with him and see what he says.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the lightest the 300 Weatherby goes, is 110Gr.... I know that's the lightest load data I've found for the 300 WM. If you want any lighter than that IMHO, I think you picked the wrong cartridge.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes they will but can a 100 grain bullet with the Wby powder charge work without either comming apart or damaging the barrel.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I doubt very much it will come apart and it won't damage your barrel.

That said, the 100 gr. bullets may very well not be as accurate as heavier bullets and I don't see any advantage to them except perhaps cost in a 300 Weatherby. Weatherbys are known for having generous freebore and you won't be able to seat a 100 gr. bullet very close to the lands. If you're looking for more velocity, also consider that a 100 gr. bullet will lose velocity faster than a 168 grain or heavier bullet. If you want a varmint load a 168 gr. bullet will kill varmints; really. If you want less recoil, you should have bought a 30/06.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30bulletholes:
I already have a 300 win mag as well as 30-06, 243, and a 7mm. I really have no use for the Wby but since I have it I thought about making it a very long range varmit rifle. From my back deck it is 3200ft to the back of my property with a grove of trees and a hill. I see alot of game pass through it from cats to deer. Just thought the wby would reach out there with a small bullet. Wouldn't hunt deer with it . Just the smaller animals

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30bulletholes:
I already have a 300 win mag as well as 30-06, 243, and a 7mm. I really have no use for the Wby but since I have it I thought about making it a very long range varmit rifle. From my back deck it is 3200ft to the back of my property with a grove of trees and a hill. I see alot of game pass through it from cats to deer. Just thought the wby would reach out there with a small bullet. Wouldn't hunt deer with it . Just the smaller animals

you must be one hell of a shot. 1000+ yds sure is a long shot

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30bulletholes:

Ok, basically if you're shooting 1000yds, your 300 WM would work. There's two guys I know who shoot Long Range Comp, and they use the 300 WM, and stick with 168 Gr Bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom