New to me Master Caster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
drove up to Kansas to pick up a Magma manual Master Caster on Saturday. Very lightly used machine. It came with 24 sets off molds. Unfortunately only one mold is setup for the MC. a 454 LC 300 grain biggie. several 30 cal molds, 38, 44, 45, 50 and 58 cal. doubles and singles, Hollow point and hollow base, several round balls. Many of the molds are new in the box. some are 30 years old. two Lyman sizers along with sizing dies and top punches. 200 lbs of lead

Looking to pick up a 38spec mold for the MC first. need a couple of thousand bullets for training church friends.

I have been working on how to automate the master caster. I can see a 3D printed bullet collator and automating a bullet sizer in the future.

I had a dozen molds. Only one duplicate in the new batch, a 45-70 hollow point single cavity.

lots of learning on the new system.

Attachments

• master caster.JPG
    master caster.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • bullet molds.JPG
    bullet molds.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in providing a kit to homebuilt a machine similar to the MC. Providing the parts that require machining that the typical home shop would not be able to make. Not sure if it will actually happen. I also have an idea of how to increase the output of the machine. All this thinking is helping keep my aging brain functioning.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for electrical liner solenoid. I figure with the wide variety of experience on OK Shooter, someone might have some experience with linear solenoids and could steer me in the right direction. I have ordered a timing relay with display that I can set to around 0.5 second time. hoping to find a 12vdc or maybe AC solenoid to use to actuate the lever on my Master Caster. The plan is to push a button and start a very precise pour into the mold. The solenoid will be integrated into an automation system once I get the drive worked out. Hoping to go electrical for drive and solenoid. May have to regroup and use air pressure and cylinders.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not a liner but a linear solenoid is what I am looking for. Will be glad to post picks and parts as this progresses. I had read that the mica band heaters can play havoc with arc-fault breakers. This pot has not been used in years and probably absorbed moisture. Arc-fault is seeing a bit of leakage to ground I think. Hooked up 12 vdc charger to heater and got lead up to 90 degrees trying to drive off moisture. didn't work. now have 24 vdc power supply. heater band will be hotter than lead so maybe get it to around 200 and drive off moisture. I will not be doing a lot of casting at the house. most at a friends shop. just trying to get lead out of pot so valve rod moves up and down to see how much force is needed for a solenoid. if this gets to be an issue at the house, I may put in 20 amp breaker into garage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom