300aac cast bullets i made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy gave me a lee mold to make some of these for him.
pretty cool looking bullet..
Was the older style lee mold...2 cavity
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...n-300-aac-blackout-tumble-lube-5-ogive-radius

I kept some and gas checked them.. will try in my .308 and see what happens.. will be using 16gr of 2400 for starters.

I hear that bullet wobbles in a regular gun..we will see.

I will say this mold was a bear to get nice bullets.
I had to heat it pretty well and run the led temp a couple numbers higher on my lee bottom pour pot.
But got a bunch of good ones,, had to cast about 50 before i got enough heat in that deep mold.. i even heated the thing with a propane torch on the bottom.

Once up to temp it did excellent..
Weight came to 225-227 gr
I feel the weight difference was when i turned down the heat on the pot to see if it would still fill out the mold.
Not really.. had to keep the heat up...

This is wheel weight lead with 2 12gauge #7.5 shot pellets dumped in.. and 24" of lead free silver solder off a spool..
water dropped..

308 300aac 006.jpg

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those look good. I have been wanting a .300 AAC to try cast bullets with. A big heavy cast bullet would be great for subsonic loads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot them with the 16gr of 2400 and at 65 yards.
2 were within 1/2" of each other ,, then 2 more were fliers and i got 3.25" group and slight key-holing.
Speed was 1424-1438.
Next up is less powder and possibly a filler and some recovery efforts.

Trying to get 1050 fps

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swampratt what twist is you rifle? I agree with Okietom. I wonder how they would shoot in my 300 Whisper loaded subsonic . It is a 1 in 8 twist. The heaviest store bought cast bullets that I have found are 167 gr..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My twist is 1:10 i have read these do not perform well,, but you will only know if you try for yourself.

I may cast up a bunch more of these today.. and some of my lee 170gr flat base bullets.
Those 170's do shoot well in my 30-30 Never down loaded them.. i usually have them at 1900fps.

I heard that boat tail cast bullets never did work well ..all the long boat tail bullets i have shot seemed to group tighter the faster i sent them down the barrel.. but this was with jacketed bullets..

and with that in mind maybe i need to add some rounds to my testing that are loaded with H4350

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Swampratt, have you tried those cast bullets without the gas checks? I was thinking about saving some money on the gas checks as they probably aren't needed at 1050 fps. Really good looking bullets! would you think about selling a few so I can decide if I want to buy the mold or not?

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what dia sized to ? Am cheap so for fun loads I was thinking abot cast loads for my 300 blk , I cast for 762x54r,762x63,303brit and have luck sizing to 311 over 309. an old idea 311-150gr ,lee 312-185gr

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would if it was my mold..
But after i cast those i gave them to my buddies brother and it was his brothers mold.
He does me favors and that was a pay back deal..
I scienced out the boat tail cast bullet deal, in my thinking the gasses when shooting slow speeds does not expand the case mouth as much accuracy will usually be down in a deal like than..
Then i thought at slower speeds the bullet has a harder time bumping up and sealing off the barrel you will possibly get more leading with an under sized or too hard bullet especially with a boat tail.

If i get the mold again i will make extras.
He is having a buddy make his 300aac subsonic rounds..He does not have any yet...I sure would like to see how it shoots.
That bullet was not intended for gas checks.
I just stuck one on and it stayed...so why not try.

I have only shot the 4 from my .308 all were gas checked.
I only saved 10 for myself...what was i thinking!!!

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not realize you can buy a Lee mold so cheap. I ordered the Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL309-230-5R 30 Caliber (309 Diameter) 230 Grain for about $20. I read some threads that had really good luck with this bullet sub-sonic in the 300 Blackout. They just cast the bullets, applied the liquid lube and loaded them. I have a 1000 annealed 300 cases coming in. this should make for very inexpensive shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom