.308 in a AR platform....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only true AR-10 is the Armalite AR-10. Rest are imposters. From testing you are getting very little in velocity after you reach 16 inches. So I'm reevaulating wanting a 20inch barrel. I'm now looking at 16 AR-10 and putting a nice scope on it. This will greatly reduce weight and make it balance better. I've already got ammo and 10 armalite mags just waiting on the rifle.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only true AR-10 is the Armalite AR-10. Rest are imposters. From testing you are getting very little in velocity after you reach 16 inches. So I'm reevaulating wanting a 20inch barrel. I'm now looking at 16 AR-10 and putting a nice scope on it. This will greatly reduce weight and make it balance better. I've already got ammo and 10 armalite mags just waiting on the rifle.

And this matters why? By all reports the DPMS is a great gun and it uses standard AR-15 trigger parts, so that's a plus. So who really cares if it's not technically an AR-10?

The muzzle velocity increase in the DPMS from 16" to the 24" barrel is only about 150-200 fps, depending on the ammo. May or may not be worth it, depending on your application.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this matters why? By all reports the DPMS is a great gun and it uses standard AR-15 trigger parts, so that's a plus. So who really cares if it's not technically an AR-10?

The muzzle velocity increase in the DPMS from 16" to the 24" barrel is only about 150-200 fps, depending on the ammo. May or may not be worth it, depending on your application.

It makes it hard to determine applications, changes, problems, etc. with the actual AR-10 platform when nearly any 308 platform is called an AR-10. It would be like me calling all handguns a glock, or all revovlers a smith and wesson.......and so on. You and I might know the differences in these rifles but the OP probably doesn't. Obviously there are pros and cons to each platform.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It makes it hard to determine applications, changes, problems, etc. with the actual AR-10 platform when nearly any 308 platform is called an AR-10. It would be like me calling all handguns a glock, or all revovlers a smith and wesson.......and so on. You and I might know the differences in these rifles but the OP probably doesn't. Obviously there are pros and cons to each platform.

The OP meant an "AR" style rifle chambered in .308. No need to nitpick.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also like to have a .308 in AR platform, but I'm a lefty. Is there anyone who makes such an animal in true left hand (not right hand with deflector)?

Not trying to hijack the thread, if no one has an answer feel free to ignore me.

I also mostly shoot lefty. I have shot a couple of the DPMS LR 308 models, the 16" carbine and the 24" with Magpul PRS stock. Both had the brass deflector and forward assist. Shooting lefty was a complete non-issue.

To the OP, both were reliable and tack drivers.

Jpt

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep it coming guys. I share Cavedweller's gap, and need to know the pros and cons. I want the lightest weight and accuracy.

If that's what you want, get a DPMS with the long stainless bull barrel and then send it to Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports and have him contour the barrel down, put one of his brakes on it, put on a Clark Carbon fiber handguard and have him install a JP trigger. It will have the wieght of and handle like a AR15, with the only noticeable difference being a little more push on the shoulder when you fire it.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Armalite vs DPMS. Im currently building one as we speak from bare bones. Ill be going with a 18" Noveske Barrel on this one, i really dont thing a 20+ barrel gives you much to shake a 2' longer stick at. Someone said something about DPMS using alot of standard AR15 parts, Armalite uses almost all of a standard AR15 LPK. I think the take-down pins are different, mag release and bolt release to name some major ones. That being said Armalite is more expensive compared to DPMS everytime im walking around a gunshow. Oh and if you want to split hairs a DMPS upper can fit on a Armalite lower :thumbup3:. Seen it done, but i would never try it myself. It really comes down to what you like and what you want to pay. Both are good 7.62mm AR-Platforms. I wish Magpul would come out with some Armalite pattern PMAGS like they did for the SR25 pattern so i dont have to pay for Armalite Mags. If you want to do alittle reading jump on AR15.com and check out the thumbtacked post over AR10/DPMS(s) and see what you come up with on your own. Lots of good info put right in front of you.

Strawdog

specter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
check out the patriot armory factory .308 recon. it has a piston operating system, on an ar frame, with fantastic accuracy at about 8.5 lbs with all the bells and whistles and rails. good gun (if you can find one)