.308 in a AR platform....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So in my re-evaluating my firearm needs, I have a gap in the inventory for a long range gun. Now I'm not what I would call a long range shooter nor do I really care to get down to brass tack...drivers (tee hee). I want .308 due to poplularity and use with military (ie plenty of ammo available). I'm looking into a M1A or FAL, but after palying some COD:MW2 with AresV and asking what he thought of the M1A, he suggested a AR in .308, since it's same operation as a 5.56 AR nothing new to learn. I hadn't even given them a thought, but it does sound like it will fit my needs better. What are the negatives and positives of the .308 AR as I know next to nothing about them?

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a DPMS in 308 and love it. My wife loves even more than I do though. She took out the bullseye on the target right after I sighted in the scope for it. The thing I like best about the ar 308s is the lack of a kick. I have shot some 308s where I really did not want anymore of em after a few rounds. I can shoot mag after mag of this one and want to shoot more. The 18" model is said to shoot as good of moa as my 24", but is more set up like an all around self defense rifle, so you would get the best of both worlds, distance and home defense.

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the SR-25 MK11 in .308 with a lightweight 20" match barrel. Its effective range is 800-900 yards.
Its very heavy and if you were to carry it all day you would be hard pressed to carry an extra 120 rounds. It wouldn't serve any QCB role other than extreme/over penetration.

I also have a Mk12 Mod1 AR-15 18"SPR and a 16" REECE.
If I had to pick from only one rifle in my safe it would be hands down the 16" REECE with match barrel. It can consistently hit 8" plates at 600 yards with PRIVI match ammo. DMR's in the sand box are getting 800 yard confirms with them. I can carry 300 rounds comfortably and I would have no reservations using this weapon for QCB work with a small trijicon 8 moa red dot mounted on a LaRue SPR mount or running an 2.5-8x Leupold MRT scope and dialing down in QCB environments.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a DPMS LR-308 in 24 inch stainless bull. It is a fairly heavy gun at about 13 lbs with the scope. I haven't got to shoot it yet.
I know a lot of people are really happy with them and the vast majority are sub-MOA guns.
KurtM, whose opinion I greatly respect, has said that some of the AR10 platforms have some reliability problems. But I've also heard of a lot of people who have put several thousand rounds through their DPMS's without issue.

cimarronvalley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the DPMS web site or Remington R-25 (made by DPMS). AR-10 style, excellent rifles with great accuracy. I have several (5) in .308 and .243 Win. They do weigh more than AR-15 unless you have NM or target models. Good shooting.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also like to have a .308 in AR platform, but I'm a lefty. Is there anyone who makes such an animal in true left hand (not right hand with deflector)?
Not trying to hijack the thread, if no one has an answer feel free to ignore me.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Armalite AR-10T that will put 3 rds. in one hole (off bipod) at 100 yds and can hit a torso at 800 yds with ease. Also have an Armalite M4 SOF but, haven't shot it much yet. Yes ,both are .308s. Profreedomokie

Latest posts

Top Bottom