308win vs black bear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite .308 load is a Speer Hot Core 165 grain bullet over 45 grains of BLC2. Worked fine for mule deer and elk and should do well on bear.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my first black bear with a 180 grain round nose. Retrieved the bullet from the front shoulder and still have it. Frankly, either one will kill it dead. Bear aren't that tough to kill.

I quit gun hunting big game 12 years ago. My biggest black bear was a nice Pope and Young bear that squared 7 ft. That arrow killed it deader than dirt.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your trip and be safe.
congrats on killing a bear with a sharp stick! I have done a lot of dangerous things BUT 2 things i wont do is jump out of an airplane (if it isnt crashing)and hunt animals that could kill me with a sharp stick. I do admire the fact you have that much confidence in your archery skills.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
congrats on killing a bear with a sharp stick! I have done a lot of dangerous things BUT 2 things i wont do is jump out of an airplane (if it isnt crashing)and hunt animals that could kill me with a sharp stick. I do admire the fact you have that much confidence in your archery skills.

No need to be a hater. Just because others make choices different from yours doesn't make them wrong.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No need to be a hater. Just because others make choices different from yours doesn't make them wrong.
sorry but i was in no way being a hater or smart a$$ simply said i admire his confidence in his archery skills,and that i do not have large enough cahonas (man parts) to hunt deadly animal with a sharp stick,and i know my archery skills are not good enough to try it

b52fizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could always go with a 45/70 or 12 gauge slug, if you don't have a large slow caliber be a good excuse to get a new gun! My uncle guided many bear hunts in northern California many years ago, all I ever heard of him using was a ruger 44 mag carbine , and maybe 30-30's

Boomerdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense taken 1Fast8. It's all good my friends.

I just get a bigger thrill out of my bowhunting as I get older. I still love to break out the thunder sticks and launch a few down range or sky bust a flock of mallards. Good times with even better folks is what it's all about. :^)

Latest posts

Top Bottom