$31 of pot gives mom 10-year-prison, No prior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$31 of pot gives mom 10-year-prison, No prior

Ten years for selling 2-3 joints of pot is ridiculous!!!!
but not in Oklahoma, who locks up the most women in the World!

What a waste of resources ... looks like we the tax payers get to pay private prisons HUGE $$$$ to lock her up for TEN years.

----------------------------------

TAFT — Because of $31 in marijuana sales, Patricia Marilyn Spottedcrow is now serving 10 years in prison, has been taken away from her four young children and husband, and has ended her work in nursing homes.

* Woman's new life as inmate begins
02/20/2011 After a two-hour trip wearing ankle and wrist shackles, Patricia Spottedcrow and six other women, all dressed in gray, enter prison at 11:15 a.m. Dec. 22 to...
* Inmate's children feel brunt of penalty
02/20/2011 KINGFISHER — Holding back tears, 9-year-old Koby whispers words like “mad” and “sad” when talking about his imprisoned mother. His mom, Patricia...

Three days before Christmas, Spottedcrow, 25, entered the Eddie Warrior Correctional Center.

“I'm nervous … because it's prison … people I don't know,” she said.

“People said don't get too comfortable here or you'll be here longer. Don't make too many friends. Come and do your time and get out.”

Marijuana transactions

On Dec. 31, 2009, Spottedcrow and her mother, Delita Starr, 50, sold a “dime bag” of marijuana to a police informant at Starr's home in Kingfisher, court records state.

Starr handled the transaction and asked her 9-year-old grandson — Spottedcrow's son — for some dollar bills to make change for the $11 sale.

Two weeks later, the same informant returned and bought $20 of marijuana from Spottedcrow.

The two women were arrested for drug distribution and because Spottedcrow's children were in the home, an additional charge of possession of a dangerous substance in the presence of a minor was added.

“It just seemed like easy money,” said Spottedcrow, who says she is not a drug user but has smoked marijuana. “I thought we could get some extra money. I've lost everything because of it.”

The women were each offered plea deals of two years in prison. But because neither had prior convictions and the drug amounts were low, they gambled and entered a guilty plea before a judge with no prior sentencing agreement.

Starr received a 30-year suspended sentence with no incarceration, but five years of drug and alcohol assessments. Spottedcrow was sentenced to 10 years in prison for distribution and two years for possession, to run concurrently. She will be up for parole in 2014.

http://www.newsok.com/how-31-of-pot...article/3542585?custom_click=lead_story_title

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Completely ridiculous. Ten years for something that should be legal in the first place, and more time than many violent criminals get.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stupidity reigns when you can go to jail for selling a weed.

I'm almost there on the legalization of drugs...but not quite.

Stupidity also reigns when you know something is illegal, do it anyway, involve your kids, do it some more, and then act all indignant when you actually get arrested and go to jail.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm almost there on the legalization of drugs...but not quite.

Stupidity also reigns when you know something is illegal, do it anyway, involve your kids, do it some more, and then act all indignant when you actually get arrested and go to jail.

I'm pretty much on the same page for you. I could support legalizing some drugs, but while it is illegal, if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow...I am curious when a dime bag started running 11 dollars...that is an odd number...

but really 10 years for that is insane. Considering the moron that robbed me (and I knew who the guy was) got a 5 in 5 out option with his other charges running concurrent

this state is truly backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom