357 mag ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a new production Colt King Cobra Target pistol with the 4” bbl and was wondering what bullet weight anyone can recommend.

Probably use it for protection and varmints if I get a chance.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a new production Colt King Cobra Target pistol with the 4” bbl and was wondering what bullet weight anyone can recommend.

Probably use it for protection and varmints if I get a chance.
Can’t go wrong with the good ‘ole 158gr lead SWC for paper punching.

I tend to stay away from the really light bullets. Supposedly they’re hard on the forcing cone, and they eat up powder.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now it’s just going to be factory ammo, I reload for other pistols just not any 357/38 special.
Local vendor has these.
They will suffice for your stated purposes.
With the added bonus of a bunch of once fired brass to load to your preferences at a later time.
09B31314-E5CD-4BF0-9C7C-055404907C0C.png

Last edited:

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those above PPU are great for small to medium 4 legged and 2 legged critters. If you get a wild hair and decide to hunt with it as a primary, I would recommend heavier or thicker bullet designs of course, possibly with a JHP design (soft points tend to over penetrate compared to JHP/BalTip in my opinion, and tend to expand less). I’ve used 158/180 bullets with great success on paper and hunting. One thing to note if you do reload, don’t hot rod it like you can a Ruger, but with 357 mag, there’s really no need to push the limits anyways. I have found the 125gr )factory and handloads) to have a more harsh recoil (on the wrist) than the 158/180s, so I’ve steered away from them myself. I have also heard the forcing cone issues but have never seen it in person. Just stick to brass cases and avoid steel/aluminum if you can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom