.357 vs +P .38 in S&W 340PD for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
finally scored a 340PD ... after hearing all the horror stories shooting full house .357 in an ultra lightweight pistol... your hands will bleed and all that.

125 grs SJHP .357 rated at 1450 fps ... first shot was the worst due to all the hype and not knowing what to expect. held on for dear life as I squeezed the trigger.

surprise... it wasn't that bad... sure felt recoil was fierce, but manageable. after a few rounds for adjustment. squeezed off a few 5 shot burst with no problems. plenty accurate for self defense.

still wouldn't recommend .357 in an airweight for anyone with weak hands. but for me it's manageable.

so the question is ... which would you carry for CCW in 340PD.. .357 or +P .38?

[Broken External Image]

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the J & K framed size guns I usually go +P.
Otherwise I usually go with the mag.

But like ldp4570 said if your keeping tight groups with the mag go for it.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you seem to be seeking input, here's mine:

I have a Taurus 606. It's a snubbie .357...itty bitty 2" barrel. While getting accustomed to my new acquisition at the (outdoor) range one day, I did my usual "no muffs" shot to get the full experience in the event that if I ever have to shoot the thing unexpectedly, I'll have an idea of what to expect. WHOA man...that thing is LOUD!!!!:brick: duh
My eyes slammed shut and my head instinctively turned away from the gawd-awful boom and subsequent high pitched squeal that immediately began to ring in my ears. Needless to say, a follow up shot would have been near impossible at this point.... Now, I've heard that in the heat of battle, some people never even heard the shots. Lucky them. I hope beyond hope that I never have to fire my weapon in self defense, and above and beyond that, I pray that my experience doesn't cause me to hesitate should the need arise.

Now, having said all that... I plan on buying the .38 spl +P for snubbies in the Speer Gold Dot flavor when I can find them. From the research that I've done on the ammo, it truly seems best suited for the task at hand, in my humble opinion. Specifically, I appreciate the proven expansion of this round even through clothing.
As it stands, I carry this gun daily with .357 Federal Hydra-shocks 'cause that's what I have. Those bullets don't bother me one bit just sitting in the cylinder...Just hope I don't ever have to release them!

Here's just a couple of cool articles on the subject for you to check out when you have the time:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/pocket_dynomite/

http://www.thegunzone.com/speer135jhp38sp.html

Congrats on your new piece! Looks like a beauty. I would love to have one someday. I am a self-professed 1911 guy, but nothing beats the absolute reliability of the wheel. I've owned 6 semi-autos over the past couple of years and every single one of them either stove-piped, FTF, FTE....something happened at least once. No probs what-so-ever with my little six shooter.

BTW, if you're looking for a good, reasonably priced, IWB holster for it, I would recommend looking at FIST holsters. They were the only company I could find that made a holster specific for my 606. You shouldn't have that problem, but the point is: I'm very pleased with my less than sixty bucks holster.

Good luck in finding the right round for you!

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most recoil stories are exaggerated. Shooting 158gr .357's out of my friends AirLite was not pleasant, but I only shot 15 shots and only tried one load. The best advice I can give is to try a box of .38 and .38 +P and a box of .357 all in the same range trip. Then maybe you'll know whats right for you. That said, I bought a .38 +P gun, and carry +P in it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I would go with LDP's statement. However, I would also go out some time, and see how fast I could shoot the 357s and stay on target (use one of the silhouette targets), and then do the same with the +P's. If I could shoot significantly faster with the +P's, then I would go with them.

I would hope that if I ever had to use my gun I'd have time to aim and use just one shot, but I want to know that if necessary, I can shoot several quickly. I can do that with .357s in my all steel 3" GP100, but I don't know if I could with a 2" AirLite Smith.

The other thing to watch, is the fireball. I shot one of the Airlite .357s a while back, and even with the lights on indoors I could really see the blast. Versus I've never noticed the blast with with any other gun enough to remember noticing it. I just remember thinking "wow! that was a big fireball" with the 2" .357.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think that magnum loads will eventually rattle that rascal loose as a goose over a very SHORT period of time.

Magnum loads are best for STEEL L and N frame revolvers.

I say go with the +Ps.

But then again...it's your baby - love it the way you want to. ;)

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks everyone... think I'll take my chrony to the range next trip.
curious to see how close to rated 1450 fps those 125 grs .357 actually deliver with a 2in barrel.

pretty sure I can shoot tight enough groups at 15yds with carefully staged shots. need to find out if I can do it at speed with .357.

no problems getting decent groups with +P ... been reading about over penetration concerns with .357...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted badly to have a 340PD when I just had a lowly 642. Then i got a 340CT and shot 5 rounds of .357 through it.

The moral of this story is that I know have a box of 45rds of .357 that I'll probably never shoot. It sucked like nothing has ever sucked before. That thing shot spit and fire and ass every which direction and that tiny grip that feels awesome even with +P turns into almost a knife blade in the palm of your hand.

No way could I maintain that through 5 accurate shots quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom