S&W Model 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a C&P of a review of this old classic revolver that I did a few months ago for the Kansas CCW forum.

This revolver is a true classic. Some of you might not know that it was first introduced in the late 1890's as the First Model Hand Ejector, which makes it, if not the oldest firearm model still produced, then certainly one of the oldest. When it was first made, it did not have a front base pin lock on the barrel, that feature coming into being somewhat later. It has been through several model names and numbers, (Hand Ejector, the Military & Police, models 10, 12, 13, 64, and 65). During the Second Word War, it was produced as the Victory Model, and large quantities were produced in the then British service cartridge 38-200. We know the 38-200 cartridge as the 38 S&W. Please note that the 38 S&W is not the same round as the 38 special. Bullet and case diameter are slightly larger and the case is also much shorter than the 38 special. Huge quantities of the Victory Model were also made for the US market as well, being used primarily for civilian security work.

As an aside, I should note that S&W used the same frame (the K-frame) as the basis for several other classics such as the Combat Masterpiece, (basically the same gun except for the presence of a ribbed barrel and adjustable sights) the Combat Magnum, the 22 Jet, and various models in other diverse cartridges, including 357 Magnum, 22 Long rifle, 32 S&W Long, and 32 H&R Magnum.

As I mentioned in my review of the Colt Official Police, this is one of the revolvers that NYPD permitted uniformed officers to carry, and it is often thought of as being the quintessential police revolver. During the days while Colt was still making revolvers for the police market, the chief models that they had to compete against was one of the various S&W K-frames. Very often, this was the M&P or Model 10. Incidentally, S&W has produced more than six million of the Model 10's or the M&P's, and there are a few Model 10's and 64's still in service with the NYPD.

Mine is a blued 4" barrel, with a butter-smooth action. It has the standard or what is frequently called the 'pencil' barrel. This refers to the fact that mine has a tapered barrel rather than the 'stovepipe'barrel, that, if memory serves, was first introduced around 1960. The 'stovepipe' barrel is all that the 357 variants have had. Look at my avatar for an example of a stovepipe' barrel.

Enough background: how does it shoot? In a word, superbly. I just got back from my range and had ran a Hoppes-soaked patch through the chambers and barrel, when I started this post. Being more concerned with how it handled in a practical sense, I did not do a bench test, but instead put the gun through its' paces while practicing moving at the same time. Not using the sights for the most part, I started from what I call low-ready, 1 1/2 yards away from an IDPA target. Stepping back and to the side, I raised the handgun up and fired twice, at the target at the same time without using the sights. Both shots hit the center ring, and either of them would have been fatal on a man. I moved back to the starting position, and did the same thing, but moved to the opposite side. I did this drill several times, and then varied the routine a bit by shooting while I was standing still and also by shooting while just backing up.

All in all, I put about 70 rounds through the ugly mutant caveman, and decided that the poor guy had had enough. Six of these were WWB from WallyWorld and the rest were my mild handloads. The recoil was very manageable and the practical accuracy of the gun in my hands was quite good, as well.

If this were the only handgun that I had, I do not feel that I would be in any way put at a disadvantage because of it. It has been in production for more than a century and it is easy to see why.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Neat info, thanks. I've recently started collecting old S&W revolvers as I find good examples. I don't have a model 10 but it is on my wish list.

You don't have a model 10??? Shame on you!!LOL!

Even though the model is old, and has had very few changes over the last century, and is as plain jane as you can get, like the 1911, she can still perform her duties!! You would be hard pressed to find a better work horse revolver.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an old M&P pre-m10 I bought from a member here that was completely rusted up. I got it as a project for a wall hanger or something, sprayed it down with PB blaster, hit it with a buffer until the action seemed smooth again and went out and shot a great group with it. They're indestructible, almost impossible to make inaccurate, and always reliable.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the very kind words.

I have three Model 10's, a 4" 65 (see my avatar) and a 3" 13. The 65 is my EDC and it alternates with a Model 681. If there is any interest shown, I might do a review of some other old classics that I have in my collection.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great write up. I have a Model 10 with a pencil barrel, one with the stovepipe barrel, one with a 6 inch barrel and one with a 3 inch barrel with a bannana grip (stock from the factory).

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, thank you for the very kind words.

Incidentally, there is a caution I'd like to pass on about these revolvers that were made prior to about 1957, and that is to not use +P ammunition in them. My impression is that they won't blow up, but that the long-term use of ammo that is too hot will stretch the frames and that would not be a good thing.

ETA Mr. Book, it took me a second to figure out what you might mean by 'banana grips' Are you referring to those like in the S&W in my avatar?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom