.40 cal. Reloading question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonfishin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some copper plated 180gr bullets from J&k I made 25 rounds with bullseye powder 4.6 gr
And 25 rounds with bullseye with 5.0gr of powder they are going to be shot though
My Springfield xd40 and my glock 22 do y'all think these loads are to hot I have
Not been able to go to the range yet and both of my reloading books don't not have
180gr lead bullet data

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I jsut looked at the alliant website and one other reloading website I subscribe to. here is what they show for 180 grain bullet with bullseye"

Remarks: min. OAL (inches): 1.124; 33,600 psi 180 Gr JHP 5.5 grains bullseye 1,015 fps. Your plated bullet is not as able to withstand pressure as the jhp, but they are rated for about 1,200 fps so you should be OK.

From the Alliant website:
Minimum OAL(inches) 1.12 Bbl Length 4" Primer CCI 500 Bullseye powder 5.5 grains 929fps

Here is the alliant website
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1
Keep us posted on your loads.. Blitzfike

Stainless

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally i would stick with the 4.6 if your just gonna shoot targets. Im currently doing the j&k 180gr lead bullets in .40 on a 4.0 load using winchester 231. Velocity is still a bit fast on mine cause it leads up pretty quick. Just need to get another spring to cut on and lower the load if i stick with lead.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Lyman 49th Ed, you're right about max with the 5.0 of Bullseye. I am not a great fan of starting with max loads in any case.
I never used the J&K plated, but my experience with the Berry 180gr is that they do not take kindly to max loads. In fact, I switched back to 180gr FMJ Precision Delta for .40 major, because the 180gr plated started opening up the groups before I quite got major, apparently from damaging the plating. I'm talking teacup size groups with FMJ vs dinner plate with plated when I got too hot.
To me, bullseye is too fast a powder for anything but light loads in a .40S&W. HP38 is about as fast as I go in that caliber.
You might ask J&K if they have a powder/load recommendation for their plated .40 180gr.

Last edited:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Lyman 49th Ed, you're right about max with the 5.0 of Bullseye. I am not a great fan of starting with max loads in any case.
I never used the J&K plated, but my experience with the Berry 180gr is that they do not take kindly to max loads. In fact, I switched back to 180gr FMJ Precision Delta for .40 major, because the 180gr plated started opening up the groups before I quite got major, apparently from damaging the plating. I'm talking teacup size groups with FMJ vs dinner plate with plated when I got too hot.
To me, bullseye is too fast a powder for anything but light loads in a .40S&W. HP38 is about as fast as I go in that caliber.
You might ask J&K if they have a powder/load recommendation for their plated .40 180gr.

Unless Mitch switched things up, I think the plated bullets at J&K are Berrys.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should be easy to tell. Arent MG's the gold color and Berrys the real copper color? Never had 180 .401's from MG. Had a ton of 9mm MG (still have a ton of them).

Latest posts

Top Bottom