.40 S&W losing out to 9mm in popularity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceflyer001

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a Glock 23 and an XD 9mm and like them both, but the XD is much easier to get back on target. .40 cal is long known to have a nasty recoil because they are trying to cram more firepower into a smaller case. I've tried different types of ammo to see if that helps and some ammo does indeed have less recoil than others. There is all sorts of science and math involved in velocity, pressure, etc..but you can search that on your own.

I have heard, though, that the Glock .40 cal pistols seem to have more recoil than others. But I'm not planning to abandon either one of them....I just use a lighter round to practice with on the Glock cause 200 rounds or so of that, and your hand will start to hurt, and I start to anticipate the recoil, which destroys your aim. I can shoot the 9mm all day and not have any problems, though.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel that most are choosing the 9mm over the 40 for ammo price vs. performance. It is a good round nicely fit between the 9mm and 45acp. It is a great LE round but alass we "needed" to stay with Glock so when the 40s (G22 and G23) were made unauthorized for duty and off duty carry the 9mm was chosen. For the purpose of issuing them to a class not everyone can shoot a 45acp comfortably due to grip size vs hand size.

I love the 40 and will stick with it.
USP 40 on duty
PM40 off duty

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it has to do with muscle. If you can't handle the recoil, you gotta step down.

Hee hee. Made me laugh. :D We're just so not macho, us pipskeak 9mm-ers!

It also has to do with age, and Arthur-itis, Arthur has been a friend for a few years now, and along with my neck injury and follow on surgeries recoil sucks!!! Pistol or rifle!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.40 is bastard love child of the full house 10mm load that the FBI did not adopt because "Small framed" agents couldn't handle the fullhouse 10mm load.

Effectiveness wise It is no better or worse than either 9mm or .45acp, no such thing as a magic bullet/caliber combination. Unless you are shooting someone with a Carl Gustav recoilless rifle there is no such thing as "knock down power" Shot placement always has and always will be the key to winnig the fight.

.40 was a fad round that got adopted by a federal agency and so it's here to stay in the mainstream. I will stick with the 9mm a couple more chances at getting better bullet placement in every magazine makes me happy.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hear for years that the .40 has this TERRIBLE, snappy, recoil and I had no idea what people were talking about. My old CZ-75 has very manageable recoil and it would probably be easy even for a novice to shoot. Then one day I shot a buddy's Walther P-99 with a high barrel axis, and that muzzle was pointing straight up at the sky after every shot. Some of the .40s are converted 9m/ms and the factory didn't do a very good job of balancing the locking slide mass/recoil spring. But give a CZ-75 .40 a try, that is one sweet shooting gun!

This^^^^

I love .40 S&W. It's my cartridge of choice for carry when not pocket carrying. Farmer's right though about the hard and quick recoil. My 1st .40 was a Glock 22. Carried that sucker for 2 years. Shot it often. Never got used to the recoil. Got a CZ-75B SA in .40. World of difference. Still has a sharp recoil but not like it does on the lighter G22. And - the CZ-75 in .40 is a way accurate platform and mucho bang for the buck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom