?'s about 1911 Magazines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought online some "Mil Spec" 1911 magazines for my Springfield Armory GI model. They fit WAY TIGHT in my pistol. I mean, they have to be really slammed home to get them seated, and there is no way they are dropping out ... they have to be physicially pulled out of the pistol. Putting the mic to them, they are a few thousands thicker and wider than the one factory mag that came with the pistol. Are they salvageable ... will they loosen up with use ... or should I just chalk it up to experience and buy some higher-priced brand-name magazines?

ALSO, are the mags that HMFIC has for sale in the classifieds (http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105183)
the correct ones to fit my pistol, or exactly what model/series whatever magazines do I need to look for when buying more for my pistol? Thanks, folks!

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try some Wilson or some CMC power mags and forget about the GI mag. Is your 1911 a gov't or commander size? Or is it officer, cco, or compact size? Gov't and commander uses the same mag. Officer, cco, and compact size uses a smaller or should I say shorter mag.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who's "milspec" magazines did you buy? Another thing you can check is the grip screw bushings and the grip screws, sometimes one or the other will extend into the magwell causing difficult insertion of the magazines.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a compact ... 5" Service model. These were generic mil spec mags ... no brand advertised and no markings on the mags themselves. Thanks for the tip on the grip screws and bushings ... no issues there. Judging by the Springfield Armory website and the coupon I got with the pistol, it takes standard full-size mags.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the gun, I'd suggest buying some name brand mags. I personally like the Tripp Research 7rd mags for a mag that doesn't stick out below the frame and I like Tripp's 8rd mags, too.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they mic to wider than .543" take the guts out of them and squeeze them down to .540 or so.

Yep. They both measure over .543" in some places. In fact, along the trailing edge, they are .550"+ in some places, so that might even take some judicious grinding. They're not worth returning, so I might as well see what I can do with them. Thanks, Mike!

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
dont gring them, just lightly tap them down with a rubber mallet. make sure its not too tight, or the followers wont slide freely inside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom