.40 S&W losing out to 9mm in popularity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stick with the .40 It is what I carry on duty and I shoot it very well.....I own one 9mm but I'm getting ready to sell it when I can post in the classifieds....

reich10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i will be selling my 40 XD soon to get a glock 34(9mm). I am doing this strictly for competition purposes. i plan on shooting production and idpa with it so i think its the best choice. i agree with previous posters who said that there are just more .40's in cerculation now and that it fluctuates between more 9's and more 40's. Also, dont let people selling there .40's make you believe they are looking for a 9mm. could be getting another .40

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hear for years that the .40 has this TERRIBLE, snappy, recoil and I had no idea what people were talking about. My old CZ-75 has very manageable recoil and it would probably be easy even for a novice to shoot. Then one day I shot a buddy's Walther P-99 with a high barrel axis, and that muzzle was pointing straight up at the sky after every shot. Some of the .40s are converted 9m/ms and the factory didn't do a very good job of balancing the locking slide mass/recoil spring. But give a CZ-75 .40 a try, that is one sweet shooting gun!

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

It ebbs and flows. Sometimes there's lots of 9's for sale and not many 40's.

I truly think the 40s&w offers the better firepower (capacity and capability) than 9mm or 45acp, but only if you can shoot it as well. I was using 40 for my main carry and defense pistols, but ended up going back to 9mm because:

I prefer the lower recoil of 9mm.
9mm is cheaper to shoot and reload.
9mm brass is very strong and can be inspected less carefully.
A little bit more capacity.
Plenty capable of doing the job.

agree w/alan.......never owned a .40, but feel 9mm is plenty for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom