40 S&W Powders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used 231 for a lot of years, and currently load Titegroup in .40. Very consistent.

I'm curious about whether you are loading lighter loads, or loading to .40 Major?

The 231, and most of the powders mentioned, will shoot fairly clean at higher pressure, but leave considerably more residue if loaded light. IMHO, this is a greater difference than from one of these powders to the next.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using winchester 231 for a while now and would like to try something different. Only complaint with the 231 is that it seems to be pretty smoky and dirty. Just curious what others are using, and if its any cleaner. Using 165gr fmj bullets.
For low velocity loads, ca 700-750 fps, with either lead, plated or jacketed bullets I prefer WST. For relatively full power loads I switch to WSF.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been loading about 4.9 with 231

That's below Major with 165; 5.3 would reduce residue somewhat.

If you're willing to pay the $$, the N320 is noticeably cleaner. The others, more incremental than dramatic, to me.
Like I said, I settled on Titegroup, which is economical, very consistent, and moderate residue that cleans easily when loaded to Major with 180gr FMJ.

Having shot blackpowder and wax lubed lead bullets with smokeless in revolvers, I'm not too worried about the residue and smoke from any of the Major FMJ .40 loads with the popular powders: 231, TG, WSF, PP.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WST is really pretty clean. Vihtavuori is the high-water mark in propellants, but it costs: you get what you pay for. WST has a rather large velocity standard deviation window, which is really irritating, but I don't actually notice it at all when I'm shooting. But I shoot a heavy gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom