40 s&w vs .357 sig for carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't find this anywhere on the forum so I'm making a thread. I carry a p229 in 40 and want to get a 357 barrel. Which do you guys think is better for carry? I know 40 is cheaper to shoot, but My OHP buddy swears by the 357. Thanks

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't find this anywhere on the forum so I'm making a thread. I carry a p229 in 40 and want to get a 357 barrel. Which do you guys think is better for carry? I know 40 is cheaper to shoot, but My OHP buddy swears by the 357. Thanks

IMHO, the higher velocity and ft/lbs of the .357sig may translate to too much penetration for personal carry in highly populated areas. For OHP who are frequently out in the boonies, far away from backup, it is the ideal caliber.

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i like the 357 sig simply because if the round needs to go through a barrier, windshield, door, etc. it will. and it is most likely to penetrate body armor as well. i am not a fan of 40.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about over penetration if you use quality hollow point rounds.
Even though many tests show 16" of penetration through ballistic jello, but I haven't heard any reports of overpenetration despite this.
The recoil of the round (if you haven't fired it) tends to be somewhat lighter and less "snappy" in my experience than the .40. Also, the bottlenecked casing makes for a very smooth-feeding round.
All in all though, I believe it comes down to this: carry what you are most confident and accurate with.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry Cor-Bon .40. It's hard to beat a .40 that moves at 1,300 feet per second with 533 ft. lbs. behind it.

Have you chrono'd those CorBon's? There have been a lot of complaints that they will chrono out about 150 fps less than advertised, with the same length barrel. I'll stick to Ranger T-series.

As to the original question, I have both a P229 in 357 SIG and and P229 SCT in 40. I feel very confident that either would be very adequate in almost any situation I will encounter. So, basically, I bring nothing to the table. LOL!

Preacher99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If money were no object I would go with the 357 sig. I carry it in a g33. I have found a place online where it is not much more expensive than .40. I think it is a tad more accurate, but all in all I don't think it matters much.

As for over penatration I wouldn't worry about that either. The secret service and federal air Marshall use it and they will be shooting into crowds of people more than likely. Go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Glock 31c on duty as well a Glock 33. 357 is a very effective caliber. FWIW, balistic gel does not represent the different densities found in the human body such as fat, muscle and bone.

Both calibers have proven themselves. The most impotant thing is to be effecient with what you carry...