40 s&w vs .357 sig for carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
357 sig in HP is the way to go for all situations. Too many people think that BG just stands there and shoots, but human nature (unless he is all doped up) is to hide behind something and shoot when projectiles are coming back at you. It is just a reflex to make yourself as small as possible. And just like you he will not stop shooting and run away till he runs out of ammo. 357 Sig can reach around most corners (concrete or rock excluded).

I doubt this is the case. Most bad guys arent prepared for the idea that someone will be firing back.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry It has taken me so long to reply, I have been sitting back watching the thread develop. Most everyone has a good opinion. From this, I'm getting that if you can shoot either caliber just as well, that it doesn't matter a whole lot (since i will be shooting the same gun just with different barrels i should shoot both just fine). Thanks for all your opinions.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a glock 32 also, but am switching to a sig P229 sas shortly. The round is very snappy, especially if you are shooting weak hand only. It tends to want to come out of the weak hand. It is much more snappy that the .40 IMO.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either caliber will be just fine.

Worry about competence and training, not caliber.

Caliber discussions are silly unless you are a scientist.

Michael Brown

I carry a Glock 31c on duty as well a Glock 33. 357 is a very effective caliber. FWIW, balistic gel does not represent the different densities found in the human body such as fat, muscle and bone.

Both calibers have proven themselves. The most impotant thing is to be effecient with what you carry...

/Thread.