40 s&w vs .357 sig for carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a Sig P229 & both the .357 Sig and .40 S&W barrels. Ballistics aside since either will do the job just fine, I shoot the .357 Sig significantly better than the .40 S&W. The .357 Sig seems to cycle much faster with less muzzle flip than the .40 S&W which keeps me on target for a faster follow up shot. My completely unscientific findings are that the .40 flips up more than I like in the 229 and the .357 Sig pushes straight back. The .357 Sig "in a P229" feels a lot like +P or +P+ in my P229 9mm.

Long story short, I carry the .357 Sig because I shoot it better. I still like the choice to use both. Especially when ammo supplies look like they do these days.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Either is a good caliber. lots of people like 357 sig because is a "more nasty round" The thing is that its not the easiest stuff to find all the time, its expensive and takes more work if you reload because of the shoulder on the brass.

I like 9mm and 45acp

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have to add that when I had a g33, I never felt under gunned. I haven't shot a g27, but heard it has a bit of muzzle flip, I never particularly remember that with a G33, more of a wicked push, but not a flip.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a Glock 31c on duty as well a Glock 33. 357 is a very effective caliber. FWIW, balistic gel does not represent the different densities found in the human body such as fat, muscle and bone.

Both calibers have proven themselves. The most impotant thing is to be effecient with what you carry...

Bottom line, no more comments, no more questions, this is the answer.

Insert zippers, cell phones, ink pens, rib bones, badges, etc, the game changes.