.40 S&W vs .357 Sig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on getting the 357 Sig barrel for my USPc (.40).

Here's the ProArms podcast where they review the 357 Sig round as a whole (including many great points by Mas Ayoob).

http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/07/11/055-were-getting-the-band-back-together-to-discuss-the-357sig-cartridge/

Their overwhelming consensus is that it's a great round with many purposes and an effective man-stopper with proper shot placement. The only thing I noticed (it's an hour and twenty minutes long, so a lot of it I was listening passively) that was negative is for someone who reloads.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just another choice and everyone has there own preferences. I like the 357 SIG, 9mm and .45 ACP. .40 is certainly an effective round and I had no qualms carrying one when I was told to. But, I personally find the .40 boring so I don't own one. The .45 ACP or 357 SIG are what will go with me when I leave the house (most of the time). I just prefer shooting them. The 9mm hi-cap is a house/range gun for me. That's my choice.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both and really like shooting both. I don't really see much difference. I've heard people talk about the 357 SIG being a stouter recoil, or snappier, or having more muzzle blast. I don't know if I could tell the difference if you blindfolded me. I like them both.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are my two favorite rounds so I will tell you what I know, in my G22 the recoil felt identical to me (had both barrels) for both calibers. the .357 is louder and may be just barely snappier, but not enough to make a difference. I was able to shoot nearly identical groups with both calibers (out of one gun, both barrels being factory) so that should speak to shot placement.

Now the only difference I can tell you is when you look at the holes you put on target, a 9mm will have a very jagged hole, the .40 will be slightly less jagged around the edges, while the .357 has virtually no tears in the edges every time. I'm not an expert but I believe that shows a cleaner penetration potential (I know its just paper, but that's what it says to me)

Long and short, buy the barrel and put a couple boxes through it, if you don't like it (if you like .40 then you will like the .357 imo) then sell it...

bigbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the advantages of one over the other?

I have only shot .40 S&W but have been thinking about getting a .357 Sig barrel for my M&P. Just wondering if it would good/better or worse for self defense.

Thanks.

The real only way you will know is by trying both. I have both and can't tell much difference. Good luck.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the .40 S&W round for defense since it has a fairly big bore but still has good velocity and holds a lot of rounds. For typical defensive situations it is my favorite, but if I worked for the Highway Patrol I might prefer the .357 Sig because of its slightly higher velocity and superior hard barrier(like the cab of a truck) penetration.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago the 357Mag 125gr JHP was considered by many to be the best self defense round.
The 357sig was created to duplicate the 357Mag ballistics out of a 4" barrel. Everybody has an opinion in these matters because there are too many variables to know for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom