.40 S&W vs .357 Sig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the advantages of one over the other?

I have only shot .40 S&W but have been thinking about getting a .357 Sig barrel for my M&P. Just wondering if it would good/better or worse for self defense.

Thanks.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the biggest advantage is in feed reliability. You have a 9mm bullet feeding into a 40 caliber chamber. All bottleneck rounds have this feed advantage. Get the 357 sig barrel if you just want to play with a different caliber; you certainly don't need it for improved performance.

One thing to consider is that reloading bottleneck cases (especially 357 sig with its' short neck) is not for the beginning reloader. There are several complicating factors that are not an issue or consideration when reloading normal pistol cases.

As of 2 years ago, Stillwater PD was carrying glock 31's (full size 9mm/40 frame chambered for 357 sig).

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Availability and cost really wouldn't be an issue if I were to carry it strictly for ccw. I shoot .40 for everything but was wondering more about ballistic performance. I had heard, from a not so reliable source, that .357 sig performed better. Also OHP carry .357 sig's.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, who cares? Both rounds perform really well and If you buy a .357 sig platform, you can almost always find a .40 conversion for it. I have a conversion for my G32 and my Styer M40 to the other respective caliber and it's fun to switch.

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really know the physics of which one performs better, but the .357 sig is more fun for me to shoot. It "seems" to hit harder, again, no proof, just feel.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During the Great Shortage of Ammunition, 357 Sig was one of the few types of ammo that I recall seeing on the shelves of Wal-Mart most if not the entire time.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IIRC,the 357 Sig was developed for the Secret Service to provide better barrier breaching(auto glass,door skins,etc.).I have a G31 and 32,I don't usually carry them because thay are so damn LOUD!! Firing one of those inside a structure w/o ear protection would be deafening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom