.40 S&W vs .357 Sig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I perfer the .40 for it's various bullet weights. If you want a faster moving lighter round get the .40 in the 135gr. I perfer heavy weights for CCW. JMO

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I perfer heavy weights for CCW. JMO

I prefer the opposite. CCW guns are usually short barreled.
Short barrels produce lower velocity than long barrels. A light bullet will produce more velocity than a heavy bullet.
A light bullet might be loaded with faster burning powder than a heavier bullet, which means better for short barrel.
A light bullet kicks less than a heavier bullet which is more important in a small light gun with a short grip.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A light bullet kicks less than a heavier bullet which is more important in a small light gun with a short grip.

"Lighter loads" in .357 Sig an .40 are considerably more snappy than heavier ones. I've nearly tried them all in .357 Sig.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Lighter loads" in .357 Sig an .40 are considerably more snappy than heavier ones. I've nearly tried them all in .357 Sig.

+1. The lighter loads have a overall higher energy at the muzzle, and Newton told us that the greater the projectile's force vector, the greater the force presented back onto the weapon and shooter.

However, I choose 180gr for my .40, as there is more to the equation than just energy. It's all about sectional density.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Within the same caliber, the lighter bullet usually kicks less.

Not from what I understand, unless you assuming all things are equal (in which I've yet to see an equal velocity factory load with respective bullets) If the velocity of the two are the same then yes, if different then no.

For instance I've shot DT's 147gr load vs Corbon's 100gr Powerball in .357sig. HUGE difference. Dunno what the respective ME's are but I'm pretty sure they're not the same. :D

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on getting the 357 Sig barrel for my USPc (.40).

Here's the ProArms podcast where they review the 357 Sig round as a whole (including many great points by Mas Ayoob).

http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/07/11/055-were-getting-the-band-back-together-to-discuss-the-357sig-cartridge/

Their overwhelming consensus is that it's a great round with many purposes and an effective man-stopper with proper shot placement. The only thing I noticed (it's an hour and twenty minutes long, so a lot of it I was listening passively) that was negative is for someone who reloads.

These guys say that all semi-auto pistol rounds headspace on the extractor, and not the case mouth... and the .357 SIG is prone to separation due to this extractor headspacing (and the bottleneck not cozying up tightly into the chamber).

Are these guys serious? Has everything I have heard about pistols headspacing on the case mouth been a lie?

(The semi-rimmed .32 ACP and older .38 Super design being the exceptions)

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not from what I understand, unless you assuming all things are equal (in which I've yet to see an equal velocity factory load with respective bullets) If the velocity of the two are the same then yes, if different then no.

For instance I've shot DT's 147gr load vs Corbon's 100gr Powerball in .357sig. HUGE difference. Dunno what the respective ME's are but I'm pretty sure they're not the same. :D

I think that there with so many variables such as gun weight, size, grip comfort and user perceived recoil, duration, sharpness and overall force of recoil, etc.
What ever works for the individual. I find hot 115 gr bullets in a G26 more comfy than hot 147gr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom