.40 SW cost/round reloaded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stainless

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started off using fmj bullets for the 40 i reload and probably saved very little. 25 bucks for 200 count fmj 165 gr 40 s&w got old quick. I am now using hard cast lead bullets that are $72 for 1000 180gr. For me cost is not the only reason i reload, i just think its fun and knowing the rounds i shoot were loaded by me is pretty cool.

Hawkeye

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buying powder 8lbs at a time, using wolf primers, and lead J&K bullets, I am loading 40 s&w for around $ .11 per round. But that's not counting the brass cost which varies depending on where it comes from.

I just picked up some bullets from Mitch at j&k and was wondering about your load? Powder weight and OAL? Thanks

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll have to look up the load when I get home. I'm currently usuing 200gr bullets from J&K and will probably switch to 180gr's. I'm using Solo 1000 for my powder. The only thing is I'm loading long (1.19 vs 1.135 factory) for my STI. So my load would have to be tweaked some. But I'll pm you and let you know.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What is it when you include the amortized cost of the loading equipment?

I usually figure out how many rounds of estimated savings it would take to pay the equipment off, then after that your cost is what he figured.

IE: your cost per round is .12 for 9mm, if you buy it it would be .22 (for ease), so you're saving .10/rd reloading. If you have $200 in equipment (quick guess, in the ballpark for Lee Turret plus dies plus accessories), then it will take $200/.1 or 2000 rounds to pay off equipment. That equipment is paid for now, so after that, your cost per round is .12.

I do it that way because it would skew the numbers if you bought the press to reload 9mm, and amortized in the cost of the equipment on that price, then added .45 later. Well, you already included the cost of equipment in the 9mm price, so you can't add it to the .45.

Now I've got an idea of something to do in Excel...

*scurries off*

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy in quantity is the trick. I've shot lots of lead bullets from Missouri Bullet http://www.missouribullet.com/index.php For a 5% discount, key in BluePress at checkout. The cool thing about ordering from them is that your postman will lug the bullets to your front door; I LIKE that. They've always shipped within a couple days.

The best way to buy primers is in bulk from Powder Valley http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ They are good people to deal with and have excellent prices. My preference is to Winchester or Federal primers. I know of people who've tried to save a couple bucks with Wolf or Tula and wished they hadn't.

Same deal for powder; buy Powder Valley. Once you know a powder works well, buy in bulk; 3-4# or even 8# containers. I run Winchester Super Target for the 40 S&W target velocity loads and the 155 gr bullets. I run Herco (believe it or not) with 180 gr for USPSA Major. Shoots very soft and accurate.

I tend to use range brass, but if the stuff is ugly or shows Glock "smiles" or appears otherwise well-used I put it into the recycle box.

What does it cost to load 40 S&W when going the above way? About what it costs to load 9mm Luger with lead bullets. I figure I'm spending around 12 cents a round or so for the 40's.

Hawkeye

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been trying to work up a uspsa load for my.40. I have a glock 35, but I have the LW barrel so I can shoot lead without much problem. I have ordered all my bullets through delta precision as I can get jacket for right around 115 per thousand. I decided if I wanted to shoot more I should look into lead as it will save me some money. I have reloaded aprox 250 rounds in the .40 (4.0 gr of VV N320 at 1.135 OAL 180 gr delta precision fmj). Which only provided me speeds up to 850 fps.

Buzzdraw - do you pick up from powder valley or have it shipped. I did look recently and found that their wsp were 5.00 -10.00 cheaper per 1k then here close to the city. I may have to make a run for primers here one of these days. I think I still have 10k in stock.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never did figure those costs in. I keep adding dies and stuff, so I don't really want to think about how much I have in it.
BINGO! I'd bet that applies to most of us. I can't remember the last time I walked into the LGS, and walked out empty handed. There's always something singing its siren song that I just can't live without, sitting on the shelf, waiting for my wallet. Whatever it may be...an ammo box or 2, a primer pocket brush (they don't last forever - sure!), and so on.
I just had to buy a second powder measure for my RL-550, just so I don't have to keep swapping the charge bars out from large to small and back again. I also just bought a new 4 cavity .30 cal mold that I just HAD to have.
I don't know that I save a dime, but I have FUN, and the wife approves. I also shoot more!

Latest posts

Top Bottom