44 mag rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave in today and placed the order with "Ole" Jim at H&H. He's a great guy, got to hold and play with several 44's but I've got that itch for the wheel gun rifle. Will let you all know how it goes when I get it, might even post some pics!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool... I hope you like it. Give us a report.

I recently shot my buddy's Ruger Deerslayer .44 mag semi auto (the one that looks almost exactly like a 10/22 except for the bore being twice as big), and it is one sweet rifle. We were popping a 200 yard steel silhouette pretty easily.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of the Ruger 44 magnum lever rifles that looks like the semiauto deerslayer except with a lever.
Love it.
Does have a good bit of recoil with full bore magnum loads but is really nice with light cast bullet 44 loads.
It handles and feels like a 22 rimfire till you load it up with those big bullets.
My only complaint is with the 4 round rotary magazine.
Wish they had made it with the tube magazine that some of the semiauto versions have.
It would be really nice if there was a 10 round magazine available for them.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally love my little Winnie 94 .44 mag...it's short, light weight and packs a wallop. For moving around in thick brush it's unbeatable and for shorter range hunting it's perfect. Plus it's just cool hunting with a Winchester 94 and a .44 mag six shooter as back up.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the early days of revolving rifles you had to hold your left hand back behind the cylinder to prevent burn from cylinder gap flash. Taurus claims to have solved that problem and say you can hold it like a normal rifle. I don't have any reason to doubt them, but dang, a .44Mag has a lot of pressure. Especially with the heavy loads.

Keep us informed.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't trust Taurus at all so I'll be safe. I was watching one of Jerry Miculek's videos where he was reviewing a Chiappa Rhino he had won years ago and had been sitting in a box since. At one point in the video he has his thumb in what would be a safe position on a regular revolver but on the Chiappa turned out to be quite dangerous. When he fired the gun the flash from the side of the cylinder burned the crap out of his thumb. He stopped and talked about how dangerous this was and said that had he been shooting full power .357 magnums instead of the weak target .38's, it would have literally blown his thumb open to bone. No way I'll ever own a Chiappa Rhino, well, any Chiappa, or revolver rifles. I do admit the revolver rifles look cool though. Hope the OP enjoys his, I'm curious to read a review.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the early days of revolving rifles you had to hold your left hand back behind the cylinder to prevent burn from cylinder gap flash. Taurus claims to have solved that problem and say you can hold it like a normal rifle. I don't have any reason to doubt them, but dang, a .44Mag has a lot of pressure. Especially with the heavy loads.

Keep us informed.
They've shaped the forearm and put shields on both sides intending to deflect the flash and trash that blows out the gap. They work reasonably well on my .45LC version - though it certainly is possible to position your arm/hand in just the wrong position to get tagged a bit.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg

Received the Rossie CJ Thursday. Took her to the farm today and let the lead fly! I am truly happy that I went with this rifle. Was very surprised with the accuracy and the lack of a scorched forearm. The "flash plate thingy" did a great job of deflecting the pressure/heat away from your forearm!

When I figure the pic thing out, I'll post her up the right way!