Henry Big Boy Lever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I’m getting older, the iron sights are getting tougher to use. What red dot sights are your favorite?
A lot of folks think it's blasphemy to put a scope on a lever gun although it's been common in the past. Scopes were used in the Revolutionary War on muskets.
It's just my decision for my rifles but installed the Bushnell Trophy red dot. 4 different reticles, green or red. It looks like a scope, so thought it was an appropriate substitute for a scoped lever gun in appearance anyway.

1702875432969.png

Bought years ago. Not sure if they are even made anymore. Liked them well enough that one is also mounted on my Ruger Mark 3 Hunter for steel challenge matches. Mounted far forward, the extra weight reduces muzzle flip when the action cycles to zero. It does me well at the end of the day when the scores come out.

Attachments

• 1702875433395.png
    1702875433395.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fell into this one over 8 years ago. Brand nib, and a beauty for sure. I pair it with a Smith Model 58 or 657 when I want to go on a walk. Henry’s are some of the most accurate lever guns out there. It seems like both the Marlin and Henry 41 mags have gone the way of the dodo birds!

Regards,
I wouldnt mind being a 41 mag lever gun dodo bird!!!!! Almost got one last spring at Tulsa show. Made an offer just under what asking price was and he declined. Went back about an hour later to just pony up and buy it. Looked it over again and noticed a chip of wood missing and passed.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Can't wait to shoot it next week. And, I will say that I'm surprised buy the responses on the optics. While many of us older fellers have eyes not what they used to be I still thought most on here would call blasphemy by putting on some sort of electronic sight. Gotta do what we gotta do!. Did some research last night and found Phoenix Weaponry. THey make a low profile mount for a bunch of different sights. I think I'm going this route and looking at the Holosun 507K and the optic. Low profile, should keep a fairly "original" cheek weld and price isn't too bad with mount and sight. I appreicate all the replies. Thank you.

Link to Phoenix Weaponry web page for the mount.

https://www.phoenixweaponry.com/store/Henry-H006-H012-Red-Dot-Mount-p289171111
I'd recommend going with an enclosed emitter. The 507k is a great sight but if you use the rifle in the rain you could have problems with scatter on the lense. I'd look at the 509 or maybe a Sig Romeo 7.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind being a 41 mag lever gun dodo bird!!!!! Almost got one last spring at Tulsa show. Made an offer just under what asking price was and he declined. Went back about an hour later to just pony up and buy it. Looked it over again and noticed a chip of wood missing and passed.
Would you mind saying what the asking was? You can pm it to me if you want to!

Regards,

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend going with an enclosed emitter. The 507k is a great sight but if you use the rifle in the rain you could have problems with scatter on the lense. I'd look at the 509 or maybe a Sig Romeo 7.
@Shadowrider can you elaborate what an enclosed emitter is. I'm not too familiar with Reflex sights. I own a Aimpoint T2 and Trijicon MRO so unsure what you mean. Thanks.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Shadowrider can you elaborate what an enclosed emitter is. I'm not too familiar with Reflex sights. I own a Aimpoint T2 and Trijicon MRO so unsure what you mean. Thanks.
Yes, RDOs project the beam onto the glass from the rear and the emitter is open to the elements. An enclosed emitter is just that, the optic will have a back glass behind the emitter and it’s all sealed up. The emitter is inside between the two pieces of glass.

The Holosun 509 is enclosed. Here’s a quick link that shows it. Hopefully the link works.

Open vs Closed
https://freedomgorilla.com/blogs/news/open-vs-closed-emitter-pistol-optics-which-is-best-for-you

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, RDOs project the beam onto the glass from the rear and the emitter is open to the elements. An enclosed emitter is just that, the optic will have a back glass behind the emitter and it’s all sealed up. The emitter is inside between the two pieces of glass.

The Holosun 509 is enclosed. Here’s a quick link that shows it. Hopefully the link works.

Open vs Closed
Open vs Closed Emitter Pistol Optics - Which is best for you?
Ahhhhh! makes sense. Didn't know how these things worked. I guess either the 507 or 509 would work for my needs. Don't typically get out in wet weather and shoot or hunt and if there is potential I typically take my Mod 70 Stainless on those days. I do appreciate the intel and knowledge given. Thanks.