.45 ACP developed load J&K Bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudtruk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any developed loads utilizing .45 ACP 200gr. cast SWC from J&K Bullets that they would be willing to share?

I would like to use Hodgon Universal powder.
What is a safe COL for this load?
Weapon: Kimber 1911

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 4.0 grains of Bullseye with an OAL of 1.235". It's a very accurate plinking round for me. I'll check my Lymans when I get home for a Universal load.

Mudtruk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
thank you very much. I was concerned that some data i have read, the COL seemed to short in length.
example: Hodgon website 200 gr. cast LSWC 5.8 gr Universal (start) 1.225 COL
Hornady cites 1.200 COL for comparable load
Sierra does not show data for a LSWC

I realize that each gun is specific in regards to the chamber, but since it headspaces on the rim of the brass, what is the best way to determine the best (read safest) way to determine the best (safest) COL?

I would be very happy if you have some insight to share! Thanks!

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thank you very much. I was concerned that some data i have read, the COL seemed to short in length.
example: Hodgon website 200 gr. cast LSWC 5.8 gr Universal (start) 1.225 COL
Hornady cites 1.200 COL for comparable load
Sierra does not show data for a LSWC

I realize that each gun is specific in regards to the chamber, but since it headspaces on the rim of the brass, what is the best way to determine the best (read safest) way to determine the best (safest) COL?

I would be very happy if you have some insight to share! Thanks!

It's very simple. NEVER go less than the specified OAL. Longer is fine as long as it will still function/feed.

Mudtruk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok that is good info. Thanks for your help. I "manufactured" a box of 50 last night and hope to try them out. I appreciate your willingness to help. I have heard nothing but good stuff from other persons loading your product and I am eager to give them a try. Keep up the good work!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You can also make up a few "dummy rounds" (no powder or primer) to check feed and function.

i do this with all my autos now.i had bought a new xd 45 and went out to shoot some reloads i had.the lead bullet engaged the rifling and stuck.could not shoot the new gun that day and had to tap the slide back with a rubber mallet later.that was frustrating to say the least.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a novice reloader but I really like the case guides from Lyman, especially for autos. The guide is a hollow sleeve that you slip the completed cartridge into. It instantly checks for overall length and diameter according to spec. If it doesn't fit into the guide, it will probably not function too well in the firearm.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a novice reloader but I really like the case guides from Lyman, especially for autos. The guide is a hollow sleeve that you slip the completed cartridge into. It instantly checks for overall length and diameter according to spec. If it doesn't fit into the guide, it will probably not function too well in the firearm.

Just for reference purposes, those are commonly known as case gauges, or go-no-go's. They're pretty handy, but I prefer calipers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom