.45 Colt Powder Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently been bit by the .45 Colt bug and handloading is very interesting with all that powder capacity.

I don't want to "magnumize" my loads, but loadings I get with Herco and 2400 behind a 230 grain LRN bullet just don't get consistent velocities unless I "jack them up".

I'm trying for 900 FPS in a 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk without going over (or at least not much over) factory pressure levels.

What powders give a consistent burn in that large case ? Trail Boss is bulky and not position sensitive, but the manuals show only "Cowboy" loads that are pretty soft.

Is it possible that I will have to go to a heavier bullet ?
I can do that, but I really like this 230 grain mold I'm using and I want to stay with it if I can.

Thanks for any information or advice.

J.C. in Duncan

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
hey j.c., try 7 gr. of 231. that should put you right at 900 fps. its on the upper end of pressures but the blackhawk can do it with ease. should be a snappy round that would perform nicely in a rifle also. right around 13000 cup.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used Unique for light cowboy loads with a 250 gr LRN bullet. About 18 grs of the 2400 with a 250 gr XTP works great out of my Blackhawk for a hunting load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom