454 with Bluedot ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I have been trying to work up a hunting load for my 454 Redhawk. I chose Bluedot because I have plenty and found a couple of loads on the interwebs that show it running a 300 grain bullet 1500 FPS. Cant really see a down side there. So I buy some 300 gr Speer Deepcurls from Jerry's and proceed to manufacture the ultimate armadillo round. Loaded 5 rounds with 17.0 grains which is the starting load. they run sub 1100 FPS range. So I load some at 17.5 and then move up to 18.0-18.2 grains. The 18 grain load provided the group shown below at 30 yards and ran consistently at 1220-1240 FPS with 5 rounds. I think awesome but still not fast enough. No signs of pressure. That good. Lets bump up to 18.7 grains. 19.00 is max load according to book.

Now there are no signs of pressure in the primers at 18.7 grains, but the group seemed to open up. Also this group still ran between 1220-1250 fps. This group also shot fire out of the cylinder gap like that dragon that tried to kill that one cocky bastage from Texas in Reign of Fire. Ruin my bag I was using for a rest. It was my rear rifle bag and I probably should not have been using it for what I was. I use the term ruined loosely. It is not anything that a little duct tape wont fix.

Anyhow anybody else ever experienced the same thing? Where you bump up half a grain and don't really see any velocity change in a revolver?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Anyhow anybody else ever experienced the same thing? Where you bump up half a grain and don't really see any velocity change in a revolver?"

Happens all the time with some powders Blue Dot being one of them, it is also cold temp. sensetive meaning pressures go up as temp goes down.
Be carefull loading near max in cold temps with BD.
Why do you need/want 1500? That armadillo won't know the diffeence between 1250 and 1500.
Load for max accuracy not max volicity.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't need the 1500. I don't need a lot of stuff. Just figured I would try for it. Yes the 1230 is plenty for anything or any distance I will ever shoot that pistol at. Thank you for the response. I will have to go back and check now. I thought BD was fairly temp stable.

I will load these up at the 1250 FPS and practice with them. Next round I will try a different powder. I know Bluedot is not ideal for this setup.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got away from blue dot due to several folks on the interweeb blowing up good guns with it. Some lots were worse than others. You were on the right track in finding the most accurate load for that gun. I usually do that for each rifle I load for, and for the serious handgun loads as well. For the plinking stuff not so much. Bullet seating depth can get hairy as well, especially with AA#5. Pushing the bullet a little too deep in the case can jack pressures way up in a hurry. I like the WW-296 for most of my 44 mag loads. works well in the 44 mag rifles as well. Big heavy bullets that can impart most of their energy into the target are better stoppers than higher velocity rounds that zip on through. True, you get more hydrostatic shock with a high velocity round, but if the bullet stays just inside the hide at the far side, you can't get much better than that in my opinion... The 296 is good for the 454, but in a 45 colt if you try to stay within safe pressures for it, it doesn't burn well.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems I remember Blue Dot producing some weird pressure spikes in fast loads.
I still use a little, but only in light-moderate loads.
I probably won't replace my jug when it's gone.
Got nothing for the 454 for you though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you have found the accuracy load , that's a given.
I have loaded .5gr more in my 357 mag and noticed no gain in speed with some loads.
I did the same thing the other day with a load of 4064 in my 30-06. 1/5 grain more same speed same impact area at 200 yards.
Then another 1/2 grain and speed jumped 80fps and impact was 2.5" higher and opened up more.

It is what it is.

I have thought about a scope for my 357 mag pistol.. you have a nice set up.

I would sew that bag back together before i would tape it.
Or possibly silicone it. If you do not sew.

Latest posts

Top Bottom