.458 socom loading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First few batches will be 325 FTXs, hopefully. Seems they're popular enough and can be pretty spicy.

Bolt carrier and gas system show up tomorrow. If gas block clears, I'll order irons. If it doesn't I gotta rethink my whole plan and a different rail or hope somebody has a more snug gas block.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am in the process of putting a .458 socom together.
Is anybody loading for one, tips, tricks, or pitfalls
I am putting my list together for supplies, I will need brass, dies, and bullets.
I have several powders on hand, and local gun shop has some others that I have seen people running.
I have plenty of large pistol primers on hand as well.
I built one for a friend a few years back, shot it with some factory ammo and enjoyed it.
It will eventually get a can and some sub sonic ammo down the road as well
Thanks for all input
Have you tried to contact Tony Rumore. He's the godfather of the 458 and a member here. Has a shop called Tromix.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been loading 458 for quite a few years now. I found the 300 nosler ballistic tip, 300gr Nosler combined research tech RN, hornady 325 FTX, and hornady 300JHP to run the best. The Barnes bullets run great as well, but are pricey. In my experience, any of them will put down any game you seek to put down on this continent. If you look over in this section you can find all of my ballistics gel testing of my 458 Socom loadings. Could help sway you some.

I’ve found h110/w296 to be the best, but very loud and flashy. Lilgun is just as accurate, but is lower velocity (still more than enough) and less flashy/loud. I’m slowly shooting up all of the h110/296 loads in favor of switching to the lilgun loadings.

I never crimp and I run an AR platform. I actually found the crimping to hurt my accuracy, in 3 different manufacturer branded uppers/barrels.

I use Redding dies and they work, so if you can afford them, and stomach the absolute garbage of customer service that their company has, they’re okay. In all fairness though, when I started 458 Socom, Redding and Lyman were pretty much the only options, and Lyman’s were sold out.

Magnum large pistol primers have performed the best for me and gave more consistent groups and fps over standards.

I use wholly unmodified surplus GI mags and lancer AWM magazines in all of my rifles without issue.

I found them to run most comfortably on solid stocks with the heavier buffer they run, but carbine stocks work too, although I highly recommend a heavier buffer after two rifles broke the pin on an adjustable stock, and the other shredded a standard buffers rubber snubber.

I also found a that linear comp, blast diverter, whatever the company chooses to call theirs, etc, is a cheap and effective way to direct the blast more forward, and much less on your ears or neighbor, when on the range, or when hunting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom