Who loads Vihtavuori powders for pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody use Vihtavuori powders for 9x19, .40 S&W and/or 10mm? Maybe .38/.357. What are your choices? I have the opportunity to try some, and I'm thinking of 3N37, N340 and N350. I haven't been loading much rifle ammo lately, but some crossover application might be nice, too. What say you?

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say that I have ever used it in a pistol case.

Loaded some 8 x 56 RD cases with it and had a negative outcome.

For those who don't know, the 8x56 is a rimmed case made by reforming 45/90 shells.
Process is annealing the case, and then reforming.
The high case volume and low-pressure requirements limit the powered choices.

I shot a few shortly after loading and then put the rest aside.
They sat for a couple of years, nose down.
When I opened the box to go shooting, one case had separated at the neck, several had green corrosion on the copper jackets of the bullets and lead tips eaten away. I also observed green corrosion on the sides of the case away from the neck indicating the case was corroding through from the inside.

The powder in the separated case was clumped together and would not flow out.

My best guess as to what happened related to my annealing process when forming the cases.
I spin the cases in a cup on the cordless drill, in the flame of a propane torch. This softens the area where the shoulder is formed. After heating to a dull red, I let them fall into a bucket of water. Unlike steel, the quench does not reharden brass.

I suspect the mistake was not properly drying the cases after annealing, and that trace amounts of moisture reacted with the propellent, producing a small amount of something that reacted with the copper and brass.

1) has anyone seen anything similar to this?
2) think carefully about how you clean and dry your brass.

skeene482

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody use Vihtavuori powders for 9x19, .40 S&W and/or 10mm? Maybe .38/.357. What are your choices? I have the opportunity to try some, and I'm thinking of 3N37, N340 and N350. I haven't been loading much rifle ammo lately, but some crossover application might be nice, too. What say you?
I’ve been using N320 for a few years now. It is by far my favorite. I load for minor power factor for USPSA and Steel Challenge. It is crazy how clean it burns. Incredibly consistent as well. I’m definitely a fan. I have found that Alliant Sport Pistol is a great alternative though for my practice ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom