460 S&W Carbine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benelli

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested in the 460 S&W mag because of its power AND its ability to use 454's and 45 Colts. I have not been able to find a rifle in 460 (I don't want a single shot). I would really like a carbine length. Could I buy something like this. http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/ and rebarrel it to 460? I am concerned because of the high operating pressures 60,000+. Thoughts?

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some thoughts:

1. What will you really be gaining after the trouble and expense of rebarreling? In rifles there are many other cartridges with just as much or more power you could get with much less trouble.

2. I've had 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W handguns. Sure, it might be nice to be able to shoot multiple cartridge types if ammo was hard to get but, in practical terms I always found it easiest and best to shoot ammo in the gun that was made for that particular ammo.

3. Actually, the SAMI maximum pressure for the 454 Casull and 460 S&W Magnum is 65,000 psi but I don't think the data in the reloading manuals I have comes very close to that. So, if pressure is the only issue and you handload, it's easy to download these cartridges to very conservative pressure levels.

4. Then there is the "I don't want a single shot" thing. Each to his own but if you put the first bullet in the right place, it's pretty unlikely that you'll need more. I've actually tested this theory on things like Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Whitetail Deer, Warthog and a bunch of other animals.

Benelli

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) Why do any number of cartridges survive? I will not mention any here for fear of the wrath I might incur, but "inferior" cartridges have massive followings. That said, the 460 S&W has captured my imagination, I will not attempt to logically support this choice.

2) I assume 45 Colt is significantly cheaper than 460. It would be nice to use cheap plinking ammo. Why is it "best" to not use 45 Colt in a 460?

3) Point taken.

4) My choice of repeater has little to do with follow up shots. On the other hand, nobody is perfect on their shot placement 100% of the time. If you need quick reload(s), a single shot is suboptimal. Since I was thinking about using this for hogs in cover, I feel better with my reload in the magazine.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I like the 460 S&W Magnum as well but certain cartridge designs work better in certain types of actions. The 460 S&W Magnum is perfect for revolvers and break action type guns. But you did say, you're not attempting to logically support your choice and, indeed, you don't have to.

2. It's true that 45 Colt brass is cheaper than 460 S&W Magnum brass but the primers and bullets aren't. You will also use more powder in the larger case but if you use something like Titegroup you still won't use a lot of powder. I don't see a problem with using 45 Colt ammo in a 460 S&W Mag. chamber if the mechanism of extraction is robust such as in a bolt action and if hot loads aren't used. If you do the same thing in a Freedom Arms Model 83, you WILL eventually run into ejection problems when shooting full house 454 Casull loads in a chamber that a lot of 45 Colt loads were shot in. If you manage to "ring the chamber" said ejection problems will be permanent.

4. I see a potential problem in getting a custom made bolt action repeater to consistently cycle 3 different lengths of ammo but a competent gunsmith can accomplish great things. There is also a reason most cartridges meant for shooting in bolt action guns are rimless and that would be ease of feeding from a magazine.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested in the 460 S&W mag because of its power AND its ability to use 454's and 45 Colts. I have not been able to find a rifle in 460 (I don't want a single shot). I would really like a carbine length. Could I buy something like this. http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/ and rebarrel it to 460? I am concerned because of the high operating pressures 60,000+. Thoughts?

No, you couldn't buy that and rebarrel it. The .223 bolt face would be way too small, and the 7.62x39 bolt face would probably still be too small. The magazine wouldn't work either, so no repeater.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect it won't be long before someone comes out with one.
There's a big following for this round. You're not the only one wishing.

rockntractor

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have some thoughts:

1. What will you really be gaining after the trouble and expense of rebarreling? In rifles there are many other cartridges with just as much or more power you could get with much less trouble.

2. I've had 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W handguns. Sure, it might be nice to be able to shoot multiple cartridge types if ammo was hard to get but, in practical terms I always found it easiest and best to shoot ammo in the gun that was made for that particular ammo.

3. Actually, the SAMI maximum pressure for the 454 Casull and 460 S&W Magnum is 65,000 psi but I don't think the data in the reloading manuals I have comes very close to that. So, if pressure is the only issue and you handload, it's easy to download these cartridges to very conservative pressure levels.

4. Then there is the "I don't want a single shot" thing. Each to his own but if you put the first bullet in the right place, it's pretty unlikely that you'll need more. I've actually tested this theory on things like Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Whitetail Deer, Warthog and a bunch of other animals.

A ruger # 1 is one of the finest single shot rifles there is and can easily be converted to any cartridge! If you know that shot has to count you will take better aim. I've had the same experience in photography. my shots are much better framed and exposed with my view camera because you only have one exposer at a time.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could have sworn that the reason they use lever guns was for animals in brush... but I could be wrong. Just get you a Marlin 45-70 guide gun using the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. That hog will go down. Nothing like throwing a mini-van at something at 2200 FPS or more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom