4Sevens clearance sale at Going Gear.com...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the Turbo, I'm looking forward to having a bright light that takes AAs. Those CR123's get expensive because my Pelican eats them so fast.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I see 4 models that will accept AA batteries between $35-$40. One of you self proclaimed torch nerds want to educate me on which one I should get?

I would advise you to skip the AA models and get one that runs off CR123 batts.

The reason why is simple. Alkaline AAs, AAAs, Cs and Ds all discharge simply by sitting on a shelf. They really go dead when inserted in a light with their points touching. CR123s live longer on the shelf as well as in the light. They also use ALL of their power. Meaning they stay bright until they die instead of your light getting weaker and weaker until it finally dies like the AAs and AAAs do.

I got the Turbo, I'm looking forward to having a bright light that takes AAs. Those CR123's get expensive because my SureFire eats them so fast.

Buy 'em by the dozen and they are cheaper. :thumb:

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HaHa I already pulled the trigger on the purchase. But I am still good with the model I chose, now I'll have a CR123 model flashlight as well as a AA model. Maybe I'll develop my own preference after owning and using both.

Also, noticed I currently use a Pelican not a SureFire. Only SureFire I have is the helmet light. Still need to figure out a way to attach it to the bill of my cap so I can actually use it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be on to something. I can't remember which light assembly I had in my G2 Nitrolon, but it quit working all at once. I had both the P60L and the P60. (one is LED and one is old bulb style) One would still work with used batteries but the other wouldn't work until new batteries were used. I called Surefire and the customer service guy said that one style requires more voltage to run than the other.
I would advise you to skip the AA models and get one that runs off CR123 batts.

The reason why is simple. Alkaline AAs, AAAs, Cs and Ds all discharge simply by sitting on a shelf. They really go dead when inserted in a light with their points touching. CR123s live longer on the shelf as well as in the light. They also use ALL of their power. Meaning they stay bright until they die instead of your light getting weaker and weaker until it finally dies like the AAs and AAAs do.

Buy 'em by the dozen and they are cheaper. :thumb:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything I buy MUST take some kind of rechargeable battery. I have spare rechargeables, but I hate buying batteries. I have several RCR123 & 18650 flashlights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom