5 Year + Investments?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Care to share how they can be beat all day long?

Sure, talk to an advisor and reference Athene, AIG (better for income opposed to accumulation) Allianz, LFG, maybe AXA. Most should also consider a critical illness rider of which many quality annuity products have them. Nice protection in lieu of costly LTC insurance.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You need to do some research on annuities and understand what you are really buying, how much you are paying in embedded fees and what the real return is.

Clark Howard has a lot of information about them.

http://clark.com/insurance/variable-annuities-vs-life-annuities-by-the-number/

Variable annuities come with huge sales commissions, huge expenses and a huge tax burden to you. And if you want out, you usually have to pay a massive fee known as a surrender charge.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For years, Clark has warned people about something known as index annuities. They’re one of the hottest products in the investment and insurance landscape, but they’re poison for your pocketbook.

Why index annuities stink
Index annuities really took off after the stock market got decimated a few years ago and marketers saw the opportunity to take advantage of people who were worried about outliving their money.

Of all the things you could for your wallet, buying an index annuity at any age is just about the worst thought possible.

Index annuities are sold with the promise that you can earn a return based on the stock market in good years, along with the guarantee that you’ll lose no money in bad years. That’s very attractive to someone who is 65 and worried about having enough money for the rest of their life. It’s a lure that makes people think, ‘Hey, I can play the market with no risk on the downside? What could be wrong with that?!’

Actually, so much is wrong here

The number of complaints filed with state insurance regulators about people who sell index annuities around the country is huge. But state regulators often cannot or will not do anything to help those who were sold on false promises.

Here’s a final word of warning: The pitch for index annuities often starts with an invite to a free lunch or dinner seminar to learn more. Don’t take the bait.

‘That is the most expensive meal you will ever eat,’ Clark says.

If you are past 60, index annuities are a danger to your financial health, your financial security and your long term ability to live independently. Kick that insurance person who tries to sell you that junk straight to the curb!

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have a couple? That's great. Let's just say I've written a LOT more than a couple. Don't see any on that website with a 9% rider or even close? You're not getting 9% on a fixed product. Anyhoo, those products on that site are mostly crap, they can be beat all day long, although the Athene is a pretty good product. Cap rates of 5%? LOL hope they sell lube with that. (Hint: there are no-cap PTP products out there that will smoke that stuff)

I would say be very careful of what you're saying, people need honest direction, not a used car salesman approach website.

Go to the website and type in $30,000 and age 75 and I get $225 a month for life. If I figure that right that's $2700 a year and it's
9%. I have heard other advisors say wait until you are 75 years old or so before you invest in a fixed annuity. They have lot's of
different insurance companies like Metlife, Principal etc to choose from. Anyway it's whatever you want to buy for part of your
portfolio. Annuities, stocks bonds make a good mix. Gold too, just in case.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
let me ask yall this, what would you recommend I do with say...the money in my boat and rv storage business checking account. looking for somewhere I can put the money that will draw interest but can be quickly withdrawn without a penalty. even if its a couple % why not? does such a thing exist? roth-IRA? talk to me.

and this is money we collect from customers and just keep adding to the account and never really withdrawal. But, from time to time i may need to get a couple grand out for a lawn mower or whatever the business requires.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
let me ask yall this, what would you recommend I do with say...the money in my boat and rv storage business checking account. looking for somewhere I can put the money that will draw interest but can be quickly withdrawn without a penalty. even if its a couple % why not? does such a thing exist? roth-IRA? talk to me.

and this is money we collect from customers and just keep adding to the account and never really withdrawal. But, from time to time i may need to get a couple grand out for a lawn mower or whatever the business requires.
Look at some tax free municipal bonds. Its like a savings account where you can transfer money directly into your checking account.
Look closely at their past history. Some do good, some not so good.
They have variable returns. over the last 10 years, mine has a high of 10% and a low of -2%. Average is 4. something in average return.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not being nosey and no need to answer, but how much do you have in the account now? Why not just dump it into a brokerage account but hold out $3K or whatever you need for maintenance expense? Then make a deposit each month and dollar cost average it. My brokerage accounts are linked to my bank accounts for direct transfers so it goes both ways. Takes a couple or three of business days to post. A brokerage account lets you buy ETFs, individual stocks, mutual funds, etc. Just open a brokerage account (I like Scottrade) and link it to your bank account.

Latest posts

Top Bottom