We obviously don't go out to eat much

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn, if you're buying I'm going drinking with you
We spotted that bottle in Santa Fe NM when stopping for an over night stay. The bottle is Waterford crystal, probably worth 5 grand.
Greatest Liquor store ever! Every aisle had a table set up with bottles and cups so one could sample before buying.
Wife was looking for some ginger beer of a certain brand. The guy went to the back, brought out a 6 pack, opened up a can and handed it to her.
I have a pic somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Found it.

IMG_0485.jpeg

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i remember the days when Americans worked at all the restaurants and wore hair nets and hats and the health inspections were a regular event. Now we have people who know nothing about food hygiene, cooks wear baseball hats if head coverings are worn at all and waitresses don't wear any coverings plus, the food is sometimes less than palatable. And the cost? O Things change...
I have been in the restaurant business since the late 80's. With a break for the Air Force, construction, landscaping, and warehouse work. The business is dumbed down for todays employees. The health department food handlers classes used to be hard, now it is useless. And like almost everything else today, people don't have common sense or know how to actually think for themselves and come up with an idea. If you show any promise most places with screw you over while the useless workers get everything they want. Broken equipment that could be fixed easily for 5 bucks worth of stuff from Lowes, instead they call in a maintenance company that charges 300 bucks. One place I worked at ordered a part for a somewhat broken deli slicer, 600 dollars, could have bought it off of ebay for 150. Same shipping time. Most of the money people pay for food really goes to paying management and corporate employee wages while everyone else gets meager pay. Plus the business is great for preying on people who can't due math. I sat myself down years ago and decided I wasn't going to play to 40+ hours a week game. I have it somewhat good with my lower expectations in life, don't really need that many hours. It is harder work than most people would expect. But I figured I was working myself to an early grave, so I am trying my best to avoid working that much. I may not have everything I want, but I am enjoying my life. Except for the rainy days like today.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in the restaurant business since the late 80's. With a break for the Air Force, construction, landscaping, and warehouse work. The business is dumbed down for todays employees. The health department food handlers classes used to be hard, now it is useless. And like almost everything else today, people don't have common sense or know how to actually think for themselves and come up with an idea. If you show any promise most places with screw you over while the useless workers get everything they want. Broken equipment that could be fixed easily for 5 bucks worth of stuff from Lowes, instead they call in a maintenance company that charges 300 bucks. One place I worked at ordered a part for a somewhat broken deli slicer, 600 dollars, could have bought it off of ebay for 150. Same shipping time. Most of the money people pay for food really goes to paying management and corporate employee wages while everyone else gets meager pay. Plus the business is great for preying on people who can't due math. I sat myself down years ago and decided I wasn't going to play to 40+ hours a week game. I have it somewhat good with my lower expectations in life, don't really need that many hours. It is harder work than most people would expect. But I figured I was working myself to an early grave, so I am trying my best to avoid working that much. I may not have everything I want, but I am enjoying my life. Except for the rainy days like today.
Good for you! Most people realize too late that time is the most important commodity on earth.

Some guys will complain that "these kids don't want to work 70 hours a week like we did!".

No kidding. As my old man used to say "no one ever lay on his death bed wishing they had worked more".

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked for a drug co from 87 to 2005. Started as a project manager going around the country remodeling old mom/pop pharmacies. I was single when I started so almost everything I ate was in a restaurant, cafe or fast-food joint. Close to 2000 I got sick of eating out and if I was driving, had to fly sometimes, I would load up an ice chest with a stick of Schwab's bologna/salami- cheddar cheese- pickles- olives- pickled okra- crackers, and eat on that stuff several times. I would also pack some beer and after driving 400-500 miles or working all day on a remodel, I would just hit the room and crash with the stuff I took and a cold one. Sometimes on a remodel I would go do that at lunch just to get away for people for a while. It can be intense when you turn a country drugstore upside down reworking everything. Today, I have to be drug out to eat. Prices are terrible. And yes, groceries are up, but I can fix a pork chop, chicken meal for 3 for $10-$12. Steak is more but I can still do that for $25. Try eating steak out with 3 people. It will be something chewy for $100. I buy Hamberger when it's on sale and get reasonable price buns- onion- lettuce- tomato- mayo- mustard and cut my own fries from potatoes. Hamberger for 3 $10-$12- even McDonalds is $20-$30 bucks for 3 Big Mac deals.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a lot of eatery options, most are higher than average price, to pick from in downtown Tulsa.

One place that is always busy and has good food is the Boston Avenue Grille. I was in there last Thursday @ 11:20 and the line was out the door, probably 50 people or so. They have an assembly line type setup and even on Thursday it took about 10 minutes to get through the line.

The more other places downtown raise their prices, the longer the line gets to be here,

They have good handmade sandwiches or salads that will fill you up are $7.65 (price hasn't been updated on the website).

A sandwich comes with chips or the special comes with a drink for less than $10.

1715604957927.png

http://www.bostonavenuegrille.com/menu/

https://www.facebook.com/wickedfiercefood/

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously you deplorables complaining about prices don't comprehend the wonderful success that is "Bidenomics" The warden and I went out to celebrate mother's day yesterday and our lunch was a modest 90 dollars. Then we topped off the tank for only 60 dollars and got a bag of groceries for a mere 50 bucks!

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks but I wouldn’t know what to order.
Their green curry (#13) is always good, but my go-to (about 90% of the time) is
L8 with chicken. On-Shore Sen-Lek Tom Yum
Noodles with choice of meat, bean sprouts and crushed roasted peanuts. Topped with green onions, cilantro and crispy wontons.

And as far as spice level, a friend reported once that he ordered a level 5 (they number from 0-5 for "heat level). The waitress replied, "oh no--you white--it keww (kill) you."

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We spotted that bottle in Santa Fe NM when stopping for an over night stay. The bottle is Waterford crystal, probably worth 5 grand.
Greatest Liquor store ever! Every aisle had a table set up with bottles and cups so one could sample before buying.
Wife was looking for some ginger beer of a certain brand. The guy went to the back, brought out a 6 pack, opened up a can and handed it to her.
I have a pic somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Found it.

View attachment 477902
When I was in MX years ago, we visited a liquor store to pick up some duty free Tequilia. The shelves all had small dixy cups and the first bottle in every brand was open and you could sample whatever you want. We happened to meet a guy from Tulsa in the store, he had moved to MX after his wife passed from cancer. We had a long visit and samples lots of different liquors. I felt like I was in a bar rather than a store. lol
We stumbled out after an hour and Im sure they were glad to see us go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom